The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Rare, Expensive, 3/4T 4X4 Front Hub Caps---Cheap! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=293221)

PICKMUP 05-26-2008 04:45 AM

Rare, Expensive, 3/4T 4X4 Front Hub Caps---Cheap!

5 Attachment(s)
I got tired of not being able to get nice 3/4T front hub caps with the cutouts. Ebay prices are off-the-hook! Several hundred dollars is common...So, I stopped and spent a little time on the problem and came up with this...all hand tools and a few things around the shop.
Enjoy and feel free to copy...I think they turned out very nice.
1. I started out with the worst set of '73+ caps I had. They are cheap.
2. Used hand snips that cut curves and took out most of the center.
3. Dressed the holes up with sanding drum on air die grinder.
4. Stuck a piece of 4.5" pipe in the vice and tried several items to roll the inside edge of the newly cut center hole. Actually the old aftermarket center caps worked about as good as any.
5. The holes are not quite as large as the original, but they turned out very smooth and I think they look very good. Not many people are going to know.

PICKMUP 05-26-2008 04:48 AM

Re: Rare, Expensive, 3/4T 4X4 Front Hub Caps---Cheap!

4 Attachment(s)
The last few...

PICKMUP 05-26-2008 04:53 AM

Did you notice there are two different type caps there. The ones being worked on have strange center areas with more ridges.
The final finished set are the common correct style we see most often. I actually worked up both sets the same way.

jerry moss 05-26-2008 06:30 AM

Frank,
i started on a die set to do exactly what you did. i got the die finished to put the "rolled" lip after the hole is cut but never came up with a way to make the hole perfectly round without a lot of work. looks like you did a great job on yours. i used one of my original 3/4 ton front 4x4 caps for the template to make the lip die which is cut out of billet aluminum. i can make the lip perfect if i can get the hole perfect first.

Blue_71 05-27-2008 09:42 PM

how did you manage to get a perfectly rolled edge like that? just beat the aftermarket center cap into the hole? i would have thought the cap would have bent instead of rolling the edge

PICKMUP 05-28-2008 12:32 AM

The aftermarket center cap is just tapped enough to start the cut & ground edges evenly over the inside of the 4.5" pipe in the vice. The 2x4 helps spread the loan so you don't beat dents into the aftermarket cap.
The next step is driving a close fitting pipe (I found a nipple that was close) inside the 4.5 pipe. This finishes the roll on the inside of the truck cap lip.
Does that make any sense? I think it is easier than I tried to explain.

pound41 10-04-2008 09:41 PM

I needed a set of the fronts in the full wheel cover. Didn't have a set so I made the using a hole saw . Hole saws for your drill now have become so cheap and available in sizes up to 5-6 inches that is what I used on mine. Straight hole and no snipping

PICKMUP 10-06-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pound41 (Post 2916403)
I needed a set of the fronts in the full wheel cover. Didn't have a set so I made the using a hole saw . Hole saws for your drill now have become so cheap and available in sizes up to 5-6 inches that is what I used on mine. Straight hole and no snipping

I tried the holesaws, too, but the stainless was so hard it got super hot...turned blue..."smoked" the holesaw and still didn't cut all the way through. Were you cutting stainless caps or painted steel caps?
Let's see some pics of how they turned out.