The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   trans brake (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=300035)

1970chevy 07-20-2008 01:43 AM

trans brake

just wondering if any body out their has install a transbrake in a th400 how hard is it do you have to pull the tranny out i just pick up a b&m trans brake with rev valve body trying to find some good pictures of instilling it b&m gives crap of instiction

Marv D 07-20-2008 10:31 AM

Re: trans brake

There is more to it than just bolting in a valvebody. At least to make it survive there is. If your not familiar with the whole scenario I'd HIGHLY suggest you take it to a good trans shop and have the trans built for the brake. Most of the stock components will survive only a short time under the rigors of a transbrake launch.

PA-IndianRider 07-21-2008 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv D (Post 2814246)
There is more to it than just bolting in a valvebody. At least to make it survive there is. If your not familiar with the whole scenario I'd HIGHLY suggest you take it to a good trans shop and have the trans built for the brake. Most of the stock components will survive only a short time under the rigors of a transbrake launch.

All of the "drag race" friends I have have told me the same thing. Let a PRO handle it.

regan wilson 07-21-2008 02:37 PM

There are too many modifications to be done inside . It has to come apart . I run a Hipster brake . Nine years ago when I put my truck back together I did alot of research on this and one of my friends builds my transmissions . We have gotten it to where it survives pretty well . We usually tear it down once a year . Usually we replace a bushing or two maybe one or two clutches and steels . It is amazing how much stock TH400 parts can take . I can tell you alot of little tricks that will help it survive . Three good ones are, drilling out the center support bolt so more fluid can go to the second gear clutches , using a stock type wave plate in the case for second gear , and putting a good cross hatch on the sprag surface everytime you have it down .(these are for sprag survival) . Another important thing on a TH400 is high gear clutch clrearance ! Dont be afraid to put 100 to 110 thou of clearance in them . The reason for this is when the tranny is in low gear those clutches are turning 1.5 times engine speed backwards .

1970chevy 07-22-2008 08:10 PM

thanks

Ford Assassin 08-16-2008 06:48 PM

A buddy of mine tried the DIY route, ended costing more in the end.

Rodms 08-18-2008 02:58 PM

Need to take it to someone that knows how to build racing trans so you won't tear up all the other stuff

hotrod 80 08-20-2008 01:16 PM

Just took the glide in to the shop for bell housing change and freshin up . Grand total $150 . Not worth messin with in my opinion .