The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Automatic floor shifter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=302411)

Pyrotechnic 08-09-2008 11:35 PM

Automatic floor shifter

Looking for a automatic slap style shifter fit for a truck. Now I've seen the car style ones mounted high up, but this doesn't look good to me and it takes up a lot of real estate on the floor. I'd like something with a longer stick that's meant for a truck. Do these exist, and what you are all using in the way of shifters ?

redhead69 08-10-2008 03:06 AM

Re: Automatic floor shifter

They make a truck mega shifter that sits up a little more than the car version, but if you think they take up too much space check out the lokar products.. very slick

69trk 08-10-2008 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's mine on some square tubing and a plate, i don't think it looks to bad.

regan wilson 08-11-2008 10:47 AM

That instrument panel is cool !

67dragtruck 08-11-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69trk (Post 2842772)

I agree with Regan and like your dash. They say that was redesigned to make the gauges more visible around the wheel. Is it a good improvement? If so I'm going to order one myself.

Tom

69trk 08-11-2008 10:44 PM

Thanks, the dash is from nolimit. The only problem i had was that i had to trim some of the dash behind the guage panel where the lights and the windshield wiper switch were relocated. Other than that i do like it alot.

Rodms 08-11-2008 11:17 PM

It depends if you want to bend over to shift,and if you want to shift fast or not,if so design a nice console and get a short shifter,and I agree thats a nice dash 69,I'm glad you all are'nt broke down now anyway,My $$**$$***+++ cam ate 4 in and 6 ex lifters I just found out today and its motor time again,I'm thinking about building the 400 SB now!!!

Pyrotechnic 08-12-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69trk (Post 2842772)

Thats a pretty good looking installation. Looks like the shift lever is right where it needs to be.

I may just bite the bullet and take a car style shifter and just build it up on a taller base. Probably the easiest solution.

64chevkev 08-13-2008 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic (Post 2845336)
Thats a pretty good looking installation. Looks like the shift lever is right where it needs to be.

I may just bite the bullet and take a car style shifter and just build it up on a taller base. Probably the easiest solution.

The one I have in my truck doesnt have a push button or anything but it is longer than the car ones. It is made by B&M and is called the Unimatic. I am not sure what you are looking for but mine works good and it will work with just about any auto trans including overdrive trannys.

Attachment 382413

85SBC400 08-13-2008 08:24 AM

i like that now.....makes me wanna install one of those in my truck.

Pyrotechnic 08-13-2008 10:28 PM

That's good lookin, too bad it's not a ratchet style otherwise i'd buy one right now.

Whats everyone's favorite ratchet/slap style shifter for a street/strip truck that will see some track time ? I don't know much about these as I've never driven a vehicle with one.

regan wilson 08-14-2008 11:13 AM

I use a B&M ProRatchet and love it . I have always liked a ratchet shifter becuase you cant miss a shift . You might could call them and see if you could change the stick out for a longer one . Another thing is if you plan on doing any racing you will need a reverse lockout and a neutral saftey switch .

71Dragtruck 08-14-2008 04:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of my old B&M truck Mega Shifter and my new B&M Pro Stick installed.

hotrod 80 08-14-2008 09:57 PM

I am a pro stick user also . I have the conventional handle and not the magnum . Also need to consider that when belted in the seat you have limited movement . If your belt are tight you need to be able to reach the shifter comfortably .

Ford Assassin 08-16-2008 06:40 PM

I like the Hurst Quarter Stick, but it need to sit higher to be useful in our trucks.

85sqbdy 08-19-2008 08:53 PM

I currrently use a B&M Pro Ratchet myself. Shifts are precise and you can't miss a shift. I use to use a pro stick, but found that, although the shifts are precise, when you get down in the 8.50 or quicker classes with a 3 spd. theres just to much to think about with a pro stick. I just like being able to use my shifft solenoid.

69trk 08-19-2008 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a little better picture of my hurst quarter stick. Once it's out of park it's nearly perfect for shifting.

Ford Assassin 03-14-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64chevkev (Post 2846736)
The one I have in my truck doesnt have a push button or anything but it is longer than the car ones. It is made by B&M and is called the Unimatic. I am not sure what you are looking for but mine works good and it will work with just about any auto trans including overdrive trannys.

I am seriously considering this shifter, is your truck a high or low hump?

Thanks!!

AlienYouth 03-14-2009 11:32 PM

I'm rockin the truck mega shifter, i love it and i've got it at a perfect height, and i've got a bench seat, haven't gotten around to fitting the plastic console on it, but i will some day... :D

70c10 03-15-2009 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm also using the truck version of the megashifter. Here is a pic showing the car version next to the taller truck version if anybody is interested. The car version base is easier to fit with a bench seat but I managed to get my truck version in by mounting the base backwards to avoid trimming ;)

woodwright 03-15-2009 03:08 PM

I had an 81 stepside years ago, and a installed a B&M Quicksilver into the seat right next to me. In park the shifter ball was right on the edge of the seat, and in drive it was right in the middle about 4" high, right where your hand rests comfortably. It was surprisingly easy to do, and it worked great. Sorry I don't have any pics, the truck was stolen 10 years ago.:waah: I'm planning on doing this again in my 70.

djracer 03-15-2009 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's my shifter mount that also holds my procube delay box.

sorry I don't have a better installed pic

HighwayHum72 10-18-2009 05:24 AM

damn kevin, you drive one hellavu truck. i wonder whats it like.... and what it takes... thanks, that video there is some inspiration.

Blue Gas 10-28-2009 08:06 PM

I made a stand out of a 3" exhaust pipe 45* bend to mount my pro stick on. I stole the idea from a 54 that was in classic trucks a couple of years ago.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/video009.jpg

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/video010.jpg

djracer 10-28-2009 10:06 PM

That's pretty Sexy!