The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   what is your favorite tool brand? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=33271)

cheatham 12-16-2002 09:31 PM

what is your favorite tool brand?

The majority of mine are Craftsman, but I'm curious what is everyone's favorite tools to use under your hood.

I hope to be getting a good present for Christmas, and want some opinions on the best mechanics tools (for the money) to ask for from old St. Nick.

I could do this as a poll, but I don't want to leave any thing out.

Jack

crazy longhorn 12-16-2002 09:57 PM

I like crapsman tools.....they are affordable, & they replace them when they are broken. Trust me , if those guys saw how i broke them ....they would f***ing cry!:D

1FaastC10 12-16-2002 10:09 PM

personally, i use/buy Craftsman as much as possible. Snap On, Mac, and Matco all have a great product line, dont get me wrong. and they may be worth the extra money... but have you ever seen a Sears store rolling down the road? when i break a tool, i'm generally using it, and i dont want to have to wait around on the tool truck to come around to get a replacement.

Palf70Step 12-16-2002 10:11 PM

I have a lot of no name ones (Means I can't pronounce them - purchased in my many years in Japan), but normally I try to get craftsman. They just replace my broken 1/2" drive rachet (3 ft handle). I got it in 1970. The didn't make that design any longer so they gave me the newest one with a swivel head. I thought that was pretty cool. First time I every had to get one replaced. Now if I could find all those 1/2 and 9/16 sockest and wrenches my mom's garage ate over the years.

jay-dawg 12-16-2002 10:12 PM

I'm a craftsman guy. I even got their membership. got me an extra 10% off my air compressor.

jay

fanman 12-16-2002 10:12 PM

I use Craftsman, mostly because they were given to me. A while ago I bought over 200 broken Craftsman tools at a gargae sale for $20. Took them to Sears, got them replaced for free. It took a little convincing to the manager..but I got them.

Hooter 12-16-2002 10:25 PM

I love craftsman. My local parts store Lordco has a tool line called Jet tools. Those are just as good if not better than craftsman. Canadian tire tries to be Sears with their line of tools called Mastercraft which I found to be crap for tools, but they honour their warranty no questions asked. Even when I was blaitently using the rachet as a hammer.

old Rusty C10 12-16-2002 11:26 PM

tools

i always buy craftsman they dont complain about taking them back when ya break them the $3.35 an hour employees of sears dont care what ya do to them:flag: :bowtie:

cableguy0 12-16-2002 11:30 PM

imho opinion cracksmen tools are ok for home use or occasional use but u cant beat snap on for their quality they definately arent sheap but like most other things u get what u pay for. i think matco is junk i've broken way to many of their ratchets and sockets with abusing them. so i'll say for home cracksmen are good i think even better then matco junk but i prefer snap on

junkyardjohn 12-16-2002 11:31 PM

:bowtie: I LIKE MAC WRENCHES, & MOST OF THE OTHER STUFF I HAVE IS SNAP-ON. THEY'RE EXPENSIVE AS H@LL BUT I REALLY REALLY LIKE EM.:)

Bowtie468 12-16-2002 11:34 PM

I've got a pretty fair mix of Snap-On , Mac, Matco, and Craftsman. I prefer Snap-On ratchets. Craftman's dont hold up long enough. Not saying they're not any good, but for the work i put them thru, they're better suited for my "home" tools. I also shy away from Craftsman air tools. Just not enough grunt when you need it most. Just my .02:bowtie:

Piston 12-17-2002 12:01 AM

80% Snap-On, the rest is Matco, Mac or Cornwell. Even when working at home on the trucks I prefer those... Of course thats what I make my living with so its got to be durable for daily use.

DeepPurple 12-17-2002 12:06 AM

Tools

Lesse here...

Most of my tools are Craftsman, Snap On (when I can afford them) and S-K (ratchets).
Air tools are mostly Hutchins (auto body and no relation to me sadly) and IR.
Power tools are everything under the sun.

I tend to prefer either lifetime warranties or really good product.

Liz 12-17-2002 12:34 AM

Most of ours are Cornwell. a few Snap On and a few Craftsman

Gee_Emm 12-17-2002 12:55 AM

Craftsman all the way

stretch 12-17-2002 02:25 AM

Craftsman...they're in my price range and they seem to hold up OK (if not I get a new one). Funny thing about Snap-On: my Dad busted a srewdriver tip, and took it to the Snap-On factory (he lives in Wisconsin). Whereas Sears would just grab a new screwdriver, they actually took the time to heat up the shank, pull it out, and put a new shank in the old handle while he waited around. Kinda weird...nice tools though if youve got $$$

WORNBRAKES 12-17-2002 07:43 AM

I am a big fan of craftsman. Most elec and air tools are Craftsman. I want to have all Craft tools in the feature but it is slow getting there. I have a lot of Kmart and Ace hand tools and they cary the same waranty as Craftsman.

teeitup 12-17-2002 09:15 AM

Snap On., S-K, Mac, Matco, Craftsman is all I have. I buy all kinds of tools at auctions but there is getting to be alot of junk tools out there. I like the MADE IN USA sign BEST! Randy:D

kxmotox247 12-17-2002 09:45 AM

Harbour Frieght is the Best!!!! Now we're talking quality!

Just kidding...S&K, Matco, Snap-On, Craftsman all make good enough stuff for me.

Gene 12-17-2002 03:22 PM

Use PROTO tools at work (mainly because they bought them for me) at home it's Craftsman all the way! I do like the gearwrenches I have too use them more than anything else I have. I have busted about 5 1/2 drive craftsman ratchets and everytime they have rebuilt them for me.

67Fleetsidedream 12-17-2002 04:15 PM

I am a Craftsman man. As long as it gets the job done that is all that matters.

Ben

Truckstr 12-17-2002 05:31 PM

Man, I have too many different tool brands. My Grandfather gave me all of his tools when he moved off of the farm. He's 92 and had tools from waaaaay back.

There's Blackhawk, SnapOn, S-K, Craftsman, Thorsen, Crescent, etc., etc. There's a bunch of really oddball stuff. I even found a few old wrenches that I've since learned came with some vintage cars (Model T and Model A Fords and several from 8N tractors).

Yeah, he was a "pack rat" and, as they say, the apple didn't fall too far from the tree LOL.

The sad thing is that there's not a single complete set of anything (organization of tools was not a priority).

I have since "retired" most of those hand-me-downs, but they still come in handy every once in a while. When you need a tool, there's not often a good substitute for the right one.

I have mostly Craftsman for "my" collection. But Craftsman screwdrivers are NOT my favorite. I've used standard Craftsman and Craftsman Professional, but they still round off and ruin the screw (even brand-new screws).

Has anyone else come to the conclusion that Craftsman screwdrivers, shall we say, "leave a bit to be desired"?

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but what's the best screwdriver out there? I like S-K, but am open to suggestions.

chaptr2 12-17-2002 05:42 PM

Craftsman is my favorite because of price and warranty. I never get any grief over my broken tools plus I don't have to track down a tool truck. If I had the money and was a mechanic for a living then it would be Snap-n or Mac tools.

COBALT 12-17-2002 06:12 PM

Rachets, Sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.: Craftsman, S&K, Snap-on, Mac; Secondary is Kobalt (made by Snap-on) and Husky.

General Special Tools: Craftsman, NAPA, OTC

Transmission Tools: SPX Kent-Moore & Atec Trans-Tool

Air Tools: Ingersol Rand, Craftsman

JoetheMobster 12-17-2002 07:26 PM

Mostly Craftsman tools here. A few from PROTO & Snap-On.

(Damn, sure not many people with PROTO tools here!)