The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   WIW (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   What would you pay for my 68 project? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342766)

glock35ipsc 05-07-2009 03:44 PM

What would you pay for my 68 project?

3 Attachment(s)
I have once again been kicking around the idea of either selling or trading my 68 project. As time goes on I work on this truck less and less, to the point where I just want it out of the shop. I keep thinking some day I might do some more work to it, but that day just hasn't come.

I know that I will NEVER get out of it what I have into it (about $17,000 in receipts), as most everything on this truck is either brand new, or had about 150 miles on it. But I am at a loss at to what I should put on it for an asking price without sounding insane.

So, what would you think it might be worth if I sold it? It would take days to describe it, so please take a look at my build thread if you aren't familiar with it: My build thread. It would be complete minus the transmission. I am not interested in parting it out. Not yet at least....

I would also consider a trade. My previous "hot rod truck" was an 81 SWB 2wd, and I would kind of like to have another in the 81-87 range. But it would need to be a nice solid truck with no rust, dings, etc. Something that I could do a quick color change on, fix up the interior, and maybe an engine/transmission.

Don't worry about offending me, it's not for sale yet, but I really don't have an idea of what would be a reasonable starting price for it since it's in pieces.

silverstreak 05-07-2009 04:50 PM

Re: What would you pay for my 68 project?

That's a sweet looking project. I really like the custom fab work you did on the dash. Looks like all the hard work is done, so you may get some reasonable offers. I wish I had the spare cash, I'd definitly be knocking on your door.

Ram-Man 05-07-2009 05:13 PM

Thats a tough call. It will be hard to get someone to truly appreciate the craftsmanship you have put into it. It seems like projects dont bring nearly what they should. I think you would be way better off getting it to a driveable stage then selling it. We all start out on these thinking we wont get too deep into them but when you strip it down to the frame its hard to reuse old dirty and rusty parts. I considered getting rid of mine about a year and half ago but I parked it in my storage shed and drug it back out a few months ago. I'm glad I kept it now. I know what it costs to get to the stage you are at and not alot of people realize that. But I would guess $5000 - $7000 the way it sits thats just my opinion dont take it wrong. Its a crappy economy right now and people dont splurge on unnecessary things like they used too. I hope you decide to keep it you supply everyone here alot of great knowledge.

glock35ipsc 05-07-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverstreak (Post 3298430)
Looks like all the hard work is done

It only needs a little more scuffing, seam sealer applied, and primed.

glock35ipsc 05-07-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram-Man (Post 3298448)
Thats a tough call. It will be hard to get someone to truly appreciate the craftsmanship you have put into it. It seems like projects dont bring nearly what they should. I think you would be way better off getting it to a driveable stage then selling it. We all start out on these thinking we wont get too deep into them but when you strip it down to the frame its hard to reuse old dirty and rusty parts. I considered getting rid of mine about a year and half ago but I parked it in my storage shed and drug it back out a few months ago. I'm glad I kept it now. I know what it costs to get to the stage you are at and not alot of people realize that. But I would guess $5000 - $7000 the way it sits thats just my opinion dont take it wrong. Its a crappy economy right now and people dont splurge on unnecessary things like they used too. I hope you decide to keep it you supply everyone here alot of great knowledge.

Honestly, that's about what I was thinking to myself too. I know it is gonna be hard in it's present condition. Maybe what I need to do it tell myself that I need to at least get it in primer and assembled before I try to sell it. By that point I might be like "hmmm, it only needs paint now and it's done!" :haha:

El Jay 05-07-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3298457)
It only needs a little more scuffing, seam sealer applied, and primed.

I'd hate to see you get rid of/sell that truck.

But I'm sure if that's what you really want to do, you'd get a lot more if it were primered & then painted; rather than "as is".
Kind of like spending the $'s for "curb appeal" on a house for sale.
Just my .02.

420am 05-07-2009 05:34 PM

$6500 or so came to mind.. nice project. KEEP IT.. if you can. If you really wanted to move it.. I'd say under 5k would do the trick.

LowBow 05-07-2009 06:11 PM

That is a killer build, and unless you really NEED to sell it, I would have to stress keep it. You're so close! I also agree that it would bring higher dollar in at least primer. the way it sits, probably around $6k, but primered and paint ready, I would say closer to $9kish. IMO, a slap in the face compared to the money and time you have in it.

cerebus 05-07-2009 06:15 PM

IMO if your having trouble coming up with reasons to put the time / money into it, look at it like an investment.

If your only going to get $7-8000 as is, but could get $12000 closer to completion, then it might be worth your time and effort to finish it.

That truck would be worth alot up here in Canada :) It's beautiful.

silverstreak 05-07-2009 06:19 PM

I just checked out your build thread, awesome, you've got way too much time into it to turn back now, but I can understand getting burned out from all the work though. I'd at least hold on to it for a few more months and give the economy some time to recover so you can get closer to what you've put into it.

Skirkpat 05-07-2009 06:29 PM

Always darkest before the dawn.....Keep it at least long enough to finish, or close to finish it....I had a 69 Chevelle, spent 7500.00 on the engine alone,another 1000.00 on M&h wiring. Had 15,000.00 worth of reciepts in it and got frustrated and basicly away. I still regret it 3 years later. i got 5,000.00 out of the car, and 2500 for the engine. and the economy was great. projects are bringing nothing right now. not even worth selling in my opinion.

glock35ipsc 05-07-2009 08:01 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys. I have no need to sell it, I just get bummed out seeing it sit there collecting dust.

I've always prided myself on doing all the work to it myself, but have been thinking today..... what if I just took it to someone to finish it? All the custom work is done, it just needs a little more sanding and seam sealing then it could be primed, blocked and painted.

I KNOW once it's done I will want to drive the you-know-what out of it. It's just that find time to work on it is the problem. :banghead:

dan42 05-07-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3298713)
Thanks for the reply's guys. I have no need to sell it, I just get bummed out seeing it sit there collecting dust.

I've always prided myself on doing all the work to it myself, but have been thinking today..... what if I just took it to someone to finish it? All the custom work is done, it just needs a little more sanding and seam sealing then it could be primed, blocked and painted.

I KNOW once it's done I will want to drive the you-know-what out of it. It's just that find time to work on it is the problem. :banghead:

If you can find someone qualified, that's a good idea -

Hart_Rod 05-07-2009 09:20 PM

Finish it.

:D

glock35ipsc 05-07-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 3298837)
Finish it.

Yes sir!!! :lol:

dammitmitchell 05-07-2009 10:05 PM

well to be honest im tight on money..
but my boy will be growing up to be a pretty stout lineman style dude..
maby you'd be interested in an investment for potiental indentured servant for trade?
hehehhehe

(just in case any one is wondering its a joke.. please dont blast me, he'll have to dig me a swimming pool first long before i sell or trade him off)

CheyenneShop 05-07-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 3298837)
Finish it.

U CAN DO IT! You will be proud of your accomplishment when she's done and your rollin' to some truck show in her. Like you said, you've done the hardest part. Good luck

OARNGESI 05-08-2009 05:20 AM

Get it in primer get it running drive it for a few months and if that dont change your mind at least the loss wont be as hard to take

prairewolf 05-08-2009 05:23 AM

if the wind blew the right direction, I would give about 2000$ for the complete rolling chassis minus the trans............ just thinking out loud, and maybe too quick.

or to finish it yourself, all it needs is a paint job that will patina quickly and a
Rod Shop logo on the door. ...... still just thinking out loud.

you do nice work, life is good,kent

prairewolf 05-08-2009 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairewolf (Post 3299302)
if the wind blew the right direction, I would give about 2000$ for the complete rolling chassis minus the trans............ just thinking out loud, and maybe too quick.

or to finish it yourself, all it needs is a paint job that will patina quickly and a
Rod Shop logo on the door. ...... still just thinking out loud.

you do nice work, life is good,kent

edit button not working, I meant complete chassis with motor minus trans.

STOCKISH 06-01-2009 11:40 AM

Finish it, that thing is sick.

HuggerCST 06-01-2009 01:35 PM

I agree that finishing it would be your best bet, but if you decide that you are more interested in say a nice original '85 swb Sierra Classic with TBI......;)

glock35ipsc 06-01-2009 01:39 PM

Talk to me Goose......

HuggerCST 06-01-2009 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
208k, about 30k on engine,(5.7) th-350, cold A/C (R12). This is my DD, and I'd really hate to get rid of it, but I do like your truck.

glock35ipsc 06-01-2009 02:16 PM

Hmmm..... let me mull that around for a bit. It looks to be EXACTLY what I have in mind. The body looks very straight in the first pic, is there any hint of rust anywhere? Other then being a GMC, it reminds me very much of my 81.

Now you've got my wheels turning...... 1000 miles or so one way? Hmmmm......