The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Rivet Removal: What Are Your Best Tools & Techniques? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=351442)

bddcustoms 07-02-2009 08:37 PM

Rivet Removal: What Are Your Best Tools & Techniques?

Fellas,

I need to remove some rivets from my frame. I'd love to know what the Nation has found to work well for this type of task.

Post what you do (or even what you heard your sister's boysfriend's, step-dad's uncle -- twice removed -- did).

thanks.

War Chevy:metal:

LockDoc 07-02-2009 08:42 PM

Re: Rivet Removal: What Are Your Best Tools & Techniques?

-
I just use a BFH and a chisel sharpened on one side. It seems to pop the heads off easier. Be sure and hold the chisel with Vise Grips and wear safety glasses and gloves....

LockDoc

prostreetC-10 07-02-2009 08:47 PM

I hope someone will agree with me on this so I don't sound like I'm full of S**T but I like to use my cutting torch. Once you get good with one of those, it's like an artist and a paint brush. You can get the rivot hot enough to blow away with the oxygen but it wont affect the frame.

My 2nd choice is the air chisle...not good on fillings in the ole molars though.

71see10 07-02-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetc-10 (Post 3392789)
i hope someone will agree with me on this so i don't sound like i'm full of s**t but i like to use my cutting torch. Once you get good with one of those, it's like an artist and a paint brush. You can get the rivot hot enough to blow away with the oxygen but it wont affect the frame.

My 2nd choice is the air chisle...not good on fillings in the ole molars though.

x2 I,ll agree with you!!!

Big Fenders 07-02-2009 08:51 PM

Grind the head off and pop out..seems to work easiest for me..
Bob

LockDoc 07-02-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 3392789)
I hope someone will agree with me on this so I don't sound like I'm full of S**T but I like to use my cutting torch. Once you get good with one of those, it's like an artist and a paint brush. You can get the rivot hot enough to blow away with the oxygen but it wont affect the frame.

If I have a tight spot that is hard to get to I will use the gas-axe but I can do the open ones about as quick with the chisel.

LockDoc

msgross 07-02-2009 08:53 PM

grind an "X" on the head with a cutoff wheel.. then use an air chisel to nip the four pieces right off... sometimes I had to use the air chisel with a punch installed to knock it out then... Didn't mess up the metal at all..

dan42 07-02-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3392799)
grind an "X" on the head with a cutoff wheel.. then use an air chisel to nip the four pieces right off... sometimes I had to use the air chisel with a punch installed to knock it out then... Didn't mess up the metal at all..

That's a great idea. I have to take the rivets out of the front crossmember to install my swaybar - I think that's the way I'll do it. Only thing I'm nervous about is that the gas line is only a couple of inches from the rivet - I'm gonna have to protect it somehow.

Sammy 07-02-2009 11:00 PM

Proper way to remove any rivet. Get a bit 1 size smaller than the shank drill straight down thru the top of the rivet head, just deep enough to loosen the heads grip. Then center punch the grip out from the top. Common method is to grind the entire head almost flush with a grinder then tap it thru with a punch or drive pin.

BATurbo 07-03-2009 02:22 AM

I agree with msgross. I use an 1/8 thick cutoff wheel to cut an X in the rivet head. I use a double X as it takes less time to grind the x and the "pie slices" pop off easier when you hit them with the chisel. Good luck with the removal. I ran into a situation where the plates were not tight together and the rivet had bulged and/or shifted between the plates so even after cutting off the heads I had to do some prying and hammering to get the plates to separate as I could not drive the rivet out due to the bulge/shift.

turp mcspray 07-03-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 3392783)
-
I just use a BFH and a chisel sharpened on one side. It seems to pop the heads off easier. Be sure and hold the chisel with Vise Grips and wear safety glasses and gloves....

LockDoc

Did you learn to hold it with a vise grip the hard way like i did? LOL!!!

LockDoc 07-03-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 3393406)
Did you learn to hold it with a vise grip the hard way like i did? LOL!!!

Funny you should ask that...:).. Even with gloves on it hurts like h3ll when you hit your hand.

LockDoc

pumpkin 07-03-2009 09:44 AM

I like to drill them out. With cobalt drill bits, it seems to be the quickest easiest,way with the least chance of damaging anything.

Livrat 07-03-2009 10:00 AM

I use a cutting torch to "wash" the heads off.. (Be careful with a torch, if your not vary handy with one its probably best to use a different method as there is a fine line between "washing" the heads and cutting/damaging everything)
Next I use a grinder to make them completely flush.. then pop em out with an air chisel punch

woodman13 07-03-2009 10:39 AM

Plasma cutter

VanceH 07-03-2009 10:41 AM

Sawzal with a metal blade and an air grinder

glock35ipsc 07-03-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3392799)

I do this too, only I just grind one slot across the head instead of two, then hit it with the air chisel.

Or I'll just blow the center out with the plasma cutter, and a quick tap with the hammer and they fall right out.

prostreetC-10 07-03-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman13 (Post 3393482)
Plasma cutter

You suck!!!! :lol::lol:

woodman13 07-03-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 3393681)
You suck!!!! :lol::lol:

Sorry, picked it up at a DOL on a pallet sale 2 years ago for $180, new in the box along with a Lincoln welder and a Miller portable Bobcat gas welder. :metal:

Indyuke 07-03-2009 03:13 PM

I agree with the drill out method. (some industries it's the ONLY approved method) And use a center punch to get yourself started if there isn't already a dimple there.

tranz am 07-03-2009 03:32 PM

angle grind the head off, center punch it and drill it out. easy.
every air chisel Ive had had died on me mid way through the job!

68SWB4x4 07-03-2009 05:23 PM

a hammer and a chisel seriously works? I couldn't imagine, it takes long enough with an air chisel!

Beelzeburb 07-03-2009 06:20 PM

Oxy/Acetyl torch is what I used to remove the rivets through the frame on my rear shackle brackets. Get the mix right and it is a quick process. Just don't drip any on yourself.

williamt 07-03-2009 06:37 PM

on areas that you can get to I have had real good luck with a sawzall laid on its side

68C10withA396 07-03-2009 06:40 PM

I just bought a nice set of rivot removal drill bits from harbor freight that work like a charm. Drill the shaft from the head side and they fall out, no chisel or hammers needed. It is a pain sometimes to get the head back off the bit if you drill to deep.