The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sheetmetal assembly advice? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=404498)

texas56 05-25-2010 03:15 PM

Sheetmetal assembly advice?

Im getting ready to put on my back fenders, running boards and was wondering if anyone has any adive as to which order I should go in? Do I put back fenders on, then the boards and bed filler panels? Of course Im going to tape the hell out of it but I remember how hard it was to get everything mocked up and now I have to do it with paint on it. Wanted to see if anyone could tell me the easiest way.

OrrieG 05-25-2010 05:32 PM

Re: Sheetmetal assembly advice?

I think Mar-K and maybe GMC Pauls have assembly tips on their sites. Mar-K also sells a bed assembly manual for around $12. Mines a fleetie so I can't help you specifically...

mbgmike 05-25-2010 06:43 PM

There really is not a correct way so to speak. We usually assemble the box install the wood and then add the fenders. but we have done it with the fenders on to.

mr48chev 05-25-2010 06:49 PM

Having had both off and on my truck several times over the years I think it might be easier to mount the fenders and then the running boards. I wouldn't tighten the fenders up all the way until I had the boards in place though.

You should have the wood in so that you can bolt the bed to the frame properly before installing the other pieces.

Kid 05-25-2010 09:56 PM

I put my fenders on, then the running boards & filler panels last. Worked for me.. the way the running boards nest on the curve of the fender, would be a challenge to install the fenders after the running boards

texas56 05-26-2010 09:16 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback! I got me some strip caulk and going to attempt to put them on tonight.

youngrodder 05-26-2010 12:52 PM

Out of curiosity, if you have all of your wiring and stuff to do yet wouldn't it make more sense to put the sheet metal on last? The reason that I ask is that is my approach and I am checking to make sure I am also going about it the right away.

Looking good
Marc

texas56 05-26-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 3998238)
Out of curiosity, if you have all of your wiring and stuff to do yet wouldn't it make more sense to put the sheet metal on last? The reason that I ask is that is my approach and I am checking to make sure I am also going about it the right away.

Looking good
Marc

I prewired everything inside the frame where it wouldnt show. Everything is already done except inside the cab and the stuff under the hood which I will do at a later date. Im trying to get everything done from the cab back, then move to the front.Thanks!:metal:

youngrodder 05-26-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texas56 (Post 3998244)
I prewired everything inside the frame where it wouldnt show. Everything is already done except inside the cab and the stuff under the hood which I will do at a later date. Im trying to get everything done from the cab back, then move to the front.Thanks!:metal:

Smart man......I like how you are trying to divide the truck in 2 and tackle it that way. I might have to adapt a simulat apporach. That way the endless miles of wiring won't seem quite so daunting.

I'm digging the way your truck is turning out.

Good luck.

solidaxel 05-26-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid (Post 3997275)
I put my fenders on, then the running boards & filler panels last. Worked for me.. the way the running boards nest on the curve of the fender, would be a challenge to install the fenders after the running boards

Thanks guys, that is todays assingnment, Good Review!!