The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   73-87 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Horn, Turn Signal, Steering Column (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=434468)

asphaltburner 03-27-2009 10:00 AM

Horn, Turn Signal, Steering Column

5 Attachment(s)
Yo! Y’all!
Took quite awhile for me to finally discover, and document, the answers to my questions about horn hardware in the ‘70’s and 80’s trucks. Here’s what I’ve found,…
Seems like the 1973-1978 steering wheels were all the “Type I” steering wheel,…with a smaller, more-square horn button. These continued through 1987, but the “Type II” steering wheel was begun in 1978 and continued through 1987 in addition. The Type II wheel had a much larger, more-rectangular horn button. Here’s pics of the Type II wheel with the Type II horn button above, and the smaller, Type I horn button below:

Attachment 665611

Assembly: First, here’s that infamous turn signal switch (the return springs are easily seen) and the copper horn contact:

Attachment 665612

Turn signal cancelling cam in place:

Attachment 665613

Steering lockplate ready for installation:

Attachment 665614

Lockplate compression tool (like $13 from NAPA. Can be done without it, but I wish you GOOD LUCK!):

Attachment 665615

More pics and procedure in the following post.
Todd.

asphaltburner 03-27-2009 10:09 AM

Re: Horn, Turn Signal, Steering Column

5 Attachment(s)
Yo! The rest of the story:

“C” clip in place to hold spring tension against the upper steering shaft bearing:

Attachment 665616

Plastic dust cover:

Attachment 665617

Type II steering wheel ready for tightening to 30 ft lbs:

Attachment 665618

Belleville spring drops onto a ledge molded into the Type II wheel’s rubber (in the Type I wheel, the spring has a ring-like, milky-white plastic insulator that encircles the outer edge and is held in place simply by the receiver and insulator):

Attachment 665619

Receiver and insulator screw down over the spring, and GM adds the triangular steering wheel nut keeper to the end of the shaft for safety:

Attachment 665620

Final assembly in the following post.
Todd.

asphaltburner 03-27-2009 10:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally, the remaining assembly and pics:

Then the Type II horn button snaps in place over the receiver:

Attachment 665621

And the final result:

Attachment 665622

FYI: The Belleville Spring for the Type I steering wheel is nearly identical, but has a ring-like insulator that can be slipped off:

Attachment 665623

Sure hope this helps folks in the future! I was unable to search out any of this info anywhere, and neither my Camaro shop manual or any of my truck info pictures the steering column final assembly or the parts. I tryed to title this so that the key words would be easily found via forum search.
This truck is a '78, and the small, square horn button and Belleville Spring came from a '73.
Todd.

heavychevy79 03-28-2009 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool, I like it.
I haven't forgot about your prev thread either, I've just been camera delete.

The only thing I can add now is that my 78 Silverado has this style wheel, and I'm sure it's factory original.

asphaltburner 03-29-2009 11:56 AM

Yo! Nate!
Glad you like the pictorial. It's all the information I could gather from the junkyard trucks, catalogs, and my '78 and '73. I've found NO printed information, and dealerships around the country are clueless. My post asking about this information on this forum went unanswered.
I'm sure that there are a number of minor variants out there and you can be proud of yours'! It looks like it might be a Type I wheel with a horn button that I've not seen previously.
Anybody else able to post pics of steering wheels, different from these, that are factory from the '73-'87 time period?
Thanks! This post SHOULD be here to continually collect this kind of info for future use. Todd.

TexasJeff 04-23-2009 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The best thing about both these style of wheels is the GM used the same mounting of wheels with a lot of thier cars and trucks through the 70's and 80's, so wheels from Camaro's, Monte Carlo's, Vega's will all bolt straight up to our trucks, I think mine is from a Camaro, it is a smaller diameter than the truck wheels

asphaltburner 04-26-2009 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yo!
Absolutely true, TexasJeff,...I sure wish more could've been interchangable. And to confirm your thought that your wheel might be from a Camaro,...here's my factory original:

Attachment 665626

Mine is a '76 Camaro,...or so it still appears.
Todd.