The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Ever lost a tool, then FOUND IT a long time later... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=449396)

67ChevyRedneck 02-26-2011 03:13 PM

Ever lost a tool, then FOUND IT a long time later...

1 Attachment(s)
I did :lol:

I installed our new stove about a year and a half ago. Yesterday I had to pull it out to paint the base trim on the cabinets and when I pulled the bottom drawer to push the cord back under the stove I found this exactly as it is in the pic. I adjusted the feet to get it level with my 1/4" drive ratchet. I looked *almost* everywhere for the little booger and couldn't find it :lol:

I honestly couldn't believe it was just still sitting there on the bolt, like it was waiting for me...

But that's not the best part. I thought it was so funny I had to take a pic and show y'all, so I did. THEN I installed the drawer... walked away... *explicative*... removed the drawer... got the ratchet out... reinstalled drawer...

Goats86 02-26-2011 03:20 PM

Re: Ever lost a tool, then FOUND IT a long time later...

Yes, lost a 5/8 socket from a Shap On set I bought in 1977. I was just about sick over that. After putting my ls in the truck I could not find it anywhere. About 2 months later I moved a motor stand I made to haul it in the back of the truck with. As I turned the thing over, out it falls.

big_al_71 02-26-2011 03:34 PM

Right now I am looking for my hacksaw which by the way is the second one I have lost in the past five years I have no clue where I put it but when I do find them I will resurrect this thread. lol

Stocker 02-26-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 4515207)
But that's not the best part. I thought it was so funny I had to take a pic and show y'all, so I did. THEN I installed the drawer... walked away... *explicative*... removed the drawer... got the ratchet out... reinstalled drawer...

:haha:

VA72C10 02-26-2011 04:09 PM

I do it all the time. Usually not left "in action" like that....but put somewhere for "safe keeping" or "convenient" so that it will be close the next time I need it.

I've also found a few tools. My favorite being a super long set of needle nose pliers found in my 80Z28 about a year after a trip to a transmission shop for work on a 700R4 swap.......was wedged in the rad support and I found it when detailing the engine bay..

Altec 02-26-2011 04:54 PM

Lost a large Snap-On pry bar once after working on a car. A few months later the car returned for a tune up, and there it was sitting in the engine bay...

67ChevyRedneck 02-26-2011 05:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
All done. Stove back in place, back of the "bar" cabinet and all the trim painted... wife is happy. Still have to paint all of the crown... I'll probably wait to do that when I have a long weekend or holiday off.

67ChevyRedneck 02-26-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altec (Post 4515387)
Lost a large Snap-On pry bar once after working on a car. A few months later the car returned for a tune up, and there it was sitting in the engine bay...

I'm not sure if this is funny or not... yeah, it is :lol:

mikie 1954 02-26-2011 05:56 PM

I bought a 84 chevy 3/4 ton pu from a co. that I worked for and when I pulled the trans & transfer case out I had to drop the exhaust and out dropped a 1/2" combo wrench.I didn't lose it but I fond it.

Indian113 02-26-2011 06:15 PM

That kitchen looks NICE,I didn't lose this but I found a tool sorta. My dad raced stock cars in the 60's and I helped in the pits. One nite the local Bad AZZ was being himself and pushed a guy thru the fence. When he pulled into the pits a guy thru a SK breaker bar and sparkplug socket at him it bounced off his car and hit me in the back. I kept it for my PAIN and suffering

Restrorob 02-26-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4515305)
I do it all the time. Usually not left "in action" like that....but put somewhere for "safe keeping" or "convenient" so that it will be close the next time I need it.

That's my problem, Too many places to put things for "safe keeping". Then when I need it I can't remember which place I put it and end up looking ALL over. !!! :banghead:

BLE 'BURBAN 02-26-2011 07:06 PM

Back in '94 I bought a bright yellow handled SPYDERCO CATCHERMAN folding fillet knife thinking I'd never lose that sucker because it stood out like a sore thumb. Six months later I'm working on my 74 C10 installing new hose's and cutting the heater hoses to fit.
Well nature calls so I go inside to take care of business. come back out and I can't find my knife!!!! Looked all over the place for that thing for almost 2 months, finally relented and bought a replacement one. walked in the house and set it on the bookcase...RIGHT NEXT TO MY ORIGINAL ONE!!!! So now I have 2(two) bright yellow handled knives and yeah I do carry them both with me at all times.

jb1016 02-26-2011 08:57 PM

I was working on my first car when I dropped a socket in the engine bay. It never hit the ground, and I must have looked for it, under the hood and under the car, for fifteen minutes. Later I sold the car; I shoulda told the guy I was throwing in a free socket.
Posted via Mobile Device

usmcchevy 02-26-2011 09:11 PM

When I installed the E fans on my 2000 silverado in 2005 I lost my 3/8 drive 10mm socket......found it last month when I was cleaning the truck up to sell, still on the ground bolt for the e fans :banghead:

Luv68's 02-26-2011 09:15 PM

Not a tool, but could not find my reading glasses, searched for over an hour, gave up and tried to read the paperwork, wife came by took the glasses off of my head and handed them to me saying " You know you cant see without them" Go figure.

Restrorob 02-26-2011 09:36 PM

Now that ^^^^^^^ right there makes me feel a little better ! :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 02-26-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcchevy (Post 4515881)
When I installed the E fans on my 2000 silverado in 2005 I lost my 3/8 drive 10mm socket......found it last month when I was cleaning the truck up to sell, still on the ground bolt for the e fans :banghead:

Now THAT'S impressive!!! With all the driving and bumps!

There's a 13mm socket SOMEWHERE in my S10 engine bay. Never hit the ground and I can not find it! I think it's somewhere in the core support.

67ChevyRedneck 02-26-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv68's (Post 4515894)
Not a tool, but could not find my reading glasses, searched for over an hour, gave up and tried to read the paperwork, wife came by took the glasses off of my head and handed them to me saying " You know you cant see without them" Go figure.

I've honestly done that with sunglasses before... several times... kinda embarassing :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 02-26-2011 10:37 PM

Great posts! Keep 'em comin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 4515542)
That kitchen looks NICE

Thanks!!!

This is what it used to look like when we bought the house (the cabinets look nice in the pics, but trust me, they had started to turn a dingy yellow color):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1254891549

A before and after...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1254892311

And this is the day I thought my wife was going to kill me when she got home (upper cabinets had already been redone, I was re leveling and painting the lowers) :D

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1254892637

You can see the whole shebang here!!!:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=366060&page=2

wwhijr 02-26-2011 10:47 PM

I used to have a Buck lock blade knife that I called my "unlosable" knife. I can't count the number of times I lost that thing and it always turned up in some wired place. Lost it one night in the dark while hooking up a scrap car to flat tow. Figured it was gone forever after we looked for it about 20 minutes. I had a car on my trailer and my biddy was pulling the car.

On the way home we had all kinds of problem out of the car we flat towed. The front tires would lock in a sharp turn meaning we had to jack it up and straighten the wheels. As we got close to home the lugs sheared off the drivers front tire and the tire came off. I would up dragging it the last 1.4 mile home on the brake rotor I was so pissed.

Next morning I opened the hood and there was my knife sitting there on the cowl.

I also have a Spiderco knife that I lost several years ago. I bought a new recliner and tossed my old chair in a junk truck in the field with the intention of taking it to the dump. Fast forward 2 years and I pulled the chair out to haul it off and my Spiderco fell out of it.

Now if I could just find that Buck again. Haven't seen it for 6 months and I am sure it will turn up somewhere.

dammitmitchell 02-26-2011 11:49 PM

i have a cherry picker and i lost the freaking jack handle...
i was flipping it over the other day to replace the casters with ones that work and freaking handle fell out of a cross brace.. i was not impressed w myself.

YBNORML 02-26-2011 11:50 PM

Everytime a lost/missing tool turns up, it is usually attached to the hand of the relative (dad) who neglected to mention that he borrowed it. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

fastwillie 696969 02-27-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altec (Post 4515387)

i been there a few times ,also i forgot a can of brake fluid under the hood and on the road test (thank god i was driving ) the can fell in between the steering link and couldnt turn the wheel ,that could have been deadly

Benelli 02-27-2011 12:33 AM

I was talking to my friend on the phone the other day, I said "I'll leave as soon as I find my damn phone" and he said "Well, I bet I know where it's at?" and I asked "Where?" and he said "well check the side of your head."

Sure as hell, it was there........... I felt pretty dumb.

Altec 02-27-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benelli (Post 4516416)
I was talking to my friend on the phone the other day, I said "I'll leave as soon as I find my damn phone" and he said "Well, I bet I know where it's at?" and I asked "Where?" and he said "well check the side of your head."

Sure as hell, it was there........... I felt pretty dumb.

Holy crap! I can't breath! :lol: