The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   any diesel lovers here? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486830)

Boog 09-29-2011 10:42 PM

any diesel lovers here?

I don't have one but I recently drove my nephew's 2011 crew with Dmax and Allison package. I was impressed with the power as delivered from the factory. He said slow down then MAT IT! I did and after second gear the thing started pushing us back in the seat. He has big wheels and tires on it and I swear it was fish tailing in second. When the turbo spools up it really takes off. Business expense for him but I couldn't see paying that myself but it sure is fun.

Doug_J 09-30-2011 05:09 PM

Re: any diesel lovers here?

I miss my 2006 ccsb. It was the lly with straight pipe but it was nice and pulled like a dream.

Vintage Windmills 10-01-2011 10:37 PM

My bro had a 2004.5 LLY and it was nice. I can't justify the extra price for the amount of miles I tow per year so I got the 6.0 gas and it works fine for me.

Maxxd07 10-02-2011 12:40 AM

YUP! Cant get enough of the stuff.

4x4toy 10-06-2011 08:03 PM

I love my diesels,
2005 GMC Sierra with Duramax
1997 VW Passat with TDI
198? Ford LGT14D small garden tractor 3cyl diesel
1997 Cummins engine siting in garage,

Dieselwrencher 10-06-2011 09:34 PM

I love'em as well. But I don't have any Duramaxes.

63 & 64 Bowties 10-07-2011 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, time to start this argument again.
Goes without saying, I'm a "Chevy-Guy"....
except for diesels.
Only way to go is Dodge Cummins.
You can have the Isuzus.

Vintage Windmills 10-07-2011 05:12 PM

I'd love to put a cummins in my 01 HD. I realize it would be a project but I like custom projects. More fun than just buying something

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2011 08:27 PM

I totally agree. I love building projects. Especially something different.

jeremy zander 10-08-2011 07:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have a 2006 chevy 2500hd 46,000 miles cc shortbox LBZ,bought new,,I plan on keeping it for my son.. ..he is 4 now...and I just bought an old military troop hauler.. 1986 cucv 1008 26,000 miles 6.2 diesel...just painted it,,farm truck now....

Dieselwrencher 10-10-2011 08:56 PM

Nice trucks Jeremy!

special-K 10-12-2011 10:43 AM

I'm a diesel guy,have been for many years. I have yet to own a Duramax which,although made by in partnership with Isuzu (a top 3 diesel manufacturer worldwide),are a very well designed engine that is made by GM. I've had 6.2s and 6.5TDs which have served me well since the '80s and still are. That's the whole idea of owning a diesel,you're supposed to run them forever. I'm a GM guy,but I have a lot of respect for the Cummins 12 valve diesels as an old school simple tried and true design. That's why I'd love to have one in my tried and true simple design '72 K2500. The only problem with Cummins diesels is they come in Dodges. I just can't bring myself to own another one after my experience with the one I had. Makes you wonder why there are so many good ole Cummins diesels being swapped into everything under the sun. I figure,now as I did when they came out in '89,those motors outlasted the trucks they were put in. No GM truck I've owned since has given me a reason to look elsewhere.

Doug_J 10-12-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 4949138)
I'm a diesel guy,have been for many years. I have yet to own a Duramax which,although made by in partnership with Isuzu (a top 3 diesel manufacturer worldwide),are a very well designed engine that is made by GM. I've had 6.2s and 6.5TDs which have served me well since the '80s and still are. That's the whole idea of owning a diesel,you're supposed to run them forever. I'm a GM guy,but I have a lot of respect for the Cummins 12 valve diesels as an old school simple tried and true design. That's why I'd love to have one in my tried and true simple design '72 K2500. The only problem with Cummins diesels is they come in Dodges. I just can't bring myself to own another one after my experience with the one I had. Makes you wonder why there are so many good ole Cummins diesels being swapped into everything under the sun. I figure,now as I did when they came out in '89,those motors outlasted the trucks they were put in. No GM truck I've owned since has given me a reason to look elsewhere.

I agree and I'd love to have that cummins in my truck, but for the price of the motor used and price to buy the swap kit its expensive.

vin63 10-12-2011 06:46 PM

I currently own 2 '07 Duramaxes (LBZ)...by far the best trucks I've owned or driven for my towing purposes (race car and horse trailers), and I think I've owned them all at one time or another. I routinely get 21+ mpg on the freeway unloaded and 14-15 mpg pulling the trailers with my Duramaxes.

Vintage Windmills 10-12-2011 08:30 PM

Are there any good performing Caterpillar engines well sized to fit a one ton or 2500hd silverado?

Clyde65 10-14-2011 03:53 PM

I have had my eye on a 1ton close to me and would snag it if I could do a diesel/5speed but like said previously they are real expensive. probably set you back around $5k all said and done.

Dieselwrencher 10-14-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 4950054)
Are there any good performing Caterpillar engines well sized to fit a one ton or 2500hd silverado?

IMO, no. The medium duty CAT engines suck. They don't like to start in the cold, are really hard to be able to turn up, and have a lot of injector issues as well. You could get a 3116 or maybe even a 3126 in a pick up but I highly doubt it'd be worth the time.

BigBlocksRule 12-18-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 4949138)
The only problem with Cummins diesels is they come in Dodges. I just can't bring myself to own another one after my experience with the one I had. Makes you wonder why there are so many good ole Cummins diesels being swapped into everything under the sun. I figure,now as I did when they came out in '89,those motors outlasted the trucks they were put in. No GM truck I've owned since has given me a reason to look elsewhere.

Attaboy!!!
I'd rather hitch hike with a Chevy hubcap under my arm than drive a Dodge. Great diesel engines, cheap POS trucks. Almost the same with the Viper - except that V10 ain't much to brag about. Come to think of it, the Viper is a good looking body on a skateboard, not much to brag about there, either . Rides like hell, too.
If you've ever ridden in a truck with a big V8 on E-85 with boost, you'll throw rocks at rattlin' stinkers and know why some folks are so big on running it. Great power, runs cool and clean.
Just gotta find a better way to make it than by using food.

Dieselwrencher 12-18-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule (Post 6423909)
Attaboy!!!
I'd rather hitch hike with a Chevy hubcap under my arm than drive a Dodge. Great diesel engines, cheap POS trucks. Almost the same with the Viper - except that V10 ain't much to brag about. Come to think of it, the Viper is a good looking body on a skateboard, not much to brag about there, either . Rides like hell, too.
If you've ever ridden in a truck with a big V8 on E-85 with boost, you'll throw rocks at rattlin' stinkers and know why some folks are so big on running it. Great power, runs cool and clean.

You can keep your big block with boost. Any making 500hp or more still don't get very good mileage when you hook a real load behind them. I'll keep my rattlin stinker and do both. :lol:

BigBlocksRule 12-19-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6424419)
You can keep your big block with boost. Any making 500hp or more still don't get very good mileage when you hook a real load behind them. I'll keep my rattlin stinker and do both. :lol:

I can afford to get lower mileage, E-85 is .60 to a buck cheaper a gallon. Economy per mile is very similar.

Just gotta rag on the coal burners, drove a cabless diesel tractor in my teen years and developed a real hatred for diesel smoke...maybe because I looked like a kid from the other side of the tracks after a day with the wind in the wrong direction LOL

Dieselwrencher 12-19-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule (Post 6425419)
I can afford to get lower mileage, E-85 is .60 to a buck cheaper a gallon. Economy per mile is very similar.

Just gotta rag on the coal burners, drove a cabless diesel tractor in my teen years and developed a real hatred for diesel smoke...maybe because I looked like a kid from the other side of the tracks after a day with the wind in the wrong direction LOL

:lol: Yeah, I'm sure that'll take it out of ya!

clinebarger 12-21-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule (Post 6423909)
Attaboy!!!

Did you bring up a 2 year old thread just to trash talk Diesels?
If it wasn't for the Duramax I would be driving a Cummins powered Dodge....I used to tow with Big Blocks in the early 90's, I was lucky if those pig's would make it to 150,000 miles, Adding a Turbo will shorten the life expectancy even more.

I think I will keep my 650 ft. lbs., Quiet, Smoke free modern Diesel & run for 300,000 plus miles.

BigBlocksRule 12-23-2013 09:15 AM

Never noticed the date.
I agree, gasoline, turbos and towing don't go well together.
That's why E-85.

jbailly 12-23-2013 12:29 PM

I am looking at buying a diesel right now. Just trying to narrow down what exactly I want to buy. They seem to be hard to find around here. Not very many if at any on local lots.

Vintage Windmills 12-24-2013 12:17 AM

I was watching some videos on youtube of the 2stroke Detroit diesel conversion pickups and all I can say is wow! They have got to be some of the best sounding engines ever made! Probably a tad loud but they sound mean. Guess they have a narrow powerband, at least the 4cyl ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=K3yohoCqD2E