The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Add A Leafs and ride quality (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=490106)

'63GENIII 10-21-2011 06:19 PM

Add A Leafs and ride quality

I just noticed today that there is a set of add a leafs in the front spring packs of the '63. I've been wanting to do the 52" front / 62"rear spring conversion to get better ride quality out of my DD. My question is this; do the add a leafs affect ride quality that much or is it actually possible to remove them and get a better ride. I know I may lose a little height but at this point, I'm not too worried about that (unless the spring pack is totaly shot). What are your experiences with add a leafs good or bad? Just looking for some input so I can make some good decisions here. Thanks, Chris

Stocker 10-21-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Add A Leafs and ride quality

Limited experience here but I guess every lil bit of info helps....

For me, AALs were a fairly satisfactory inexpensive, temporary fix.

My front springs were sagging so I installed AALs. Did the trick for several years and ride quality wasn't too bad -- stiffer than stock, which is probably to be expected. Eventually had too much sag even with AALs so I got 2.5" Softrides. Huge improvement and well worth it IMO.

Dunenutt 10-21-2011 06:53 PM

I have had several big block 4x4's over the years, and all of them ate front springs. I replaced several sets, then went to add a leafs. I had much better life out of the AAL's. I kind of like the stiffer ride though.

shakedown96 10-21-2011 07:37 PM

honestly it it was me I would call the spring shop and get a price for new springs. if they were in the buget i would pull the AALs and see what it does if you dont like it put new springs in. we have a great spring shop close to here so i may be bias. good luck.

'63GENIII 10-21-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 4966039)
Limited experience here but I guess every lil bit of info helps....

For me, AALs were a fairly satisfactory inexpensive, temporary fix.

My front springs were sagging so I installed AALs. Did the trick for several years and ride quality wasn't too bad -- stiffer than stock, which is probably to be expected. Eventually had too much sag even with AALs so I got 2.5" Softrides. Huge improvement and well worth it IMO.

Just curious if you noticed if there was more travel or should I say movement in the softrides. It rides like the axle is welded to the frame right now and you are the second person to recommend the Softrides.

'63GENIII 10-21-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakedown96 (Post 4966121)
honestly it it was me I would call the spring shop and get a price for new springs. if they were in the buget i would pull the AALs and see what it does if you dont like it put new springs in. we have a great spring shop close to here so i may be bias. good luck.

This is killin' me! Think I'm gonna try to pull them out tomorrow.

Stocker 10-22-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '63GENIII (Post 4966186)
Just curious if you noticed if there was more travel or should I say movement in the softrides. It rides like the axle is welded to the frame right now and you are the second person to recommend the Softrides.

Yes -- but there was only 7/8" to the bumpstops so it was always bottoming out. With the Softrides, I measured 3 3/4" to the bumpstops.

Sounds like you might just have too much spring.... it'll be interesting to see how it rides without the AALs.