The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   $$$million dollar oil pan "?" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=508817)

willywoo28 02-13-2012 05:00 PM

$$$million dollar oil pan "?"

Okay, so i have been doing quite a bit of research, losing whats left omy hair trying to figure out if i can replace my oil pan gasket w/o removing the motor.... I have a 1979 c20 w/ a 350 & 400 tranny. There appears to be enough room, but i dont want to start a 90 mon project and turn it into an all day job. Anyone know if this is possible?
Posted via Mobile Device

BLE 'BURBAN 02-13-2012 05:49 PM

Re: $$$million dollar oil pan "?"

I did it on my old 74 c10. Just had to hand turn the crank a few times to get the pan to clear it as I removed/installed it.

Dalaigh 02-13-2012 06:39 PM

I've done several oil pans and have never run into any problems. But if a clearance problem arises, do like BLE' BURBAN said or at worst if you have an engine picker, just pull the engine mount bolts and lift the engine an inch or two. But it really shouldn't come to that.

Wrecked1982 02-13-2012 08:12 PM

i did it and jacked the engine about two inch like dalaigh said and it went pretty well

old Rusty C10 02-13-2012 08:51 PM

in the old days when i did this without a hoist id undo the motor mount bolts and jack up the motor from the oil pan with a floor jack with a piece of wood on it.. then id stick a couple of chunks of wood between the motor mount on the block and its perch on the frame to give it room and was able to redo the oil pan that way... always replaced the pump while i was at it too

meter swinger 02-13-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 (Post 5186431)
in the old days when i did this without a hoist id undo the motor mount bolts and jack up the motor from the oil pan with a floor jack with a piece of wood on it.. then id stick a couple of chunks of wood between the motor mount on the block and its perch on the frame to give it room and was able to redo the oil pan that way... always replaced the pump while i was at it too

i've done it this way also. however now that i have a tranny shop that will do oil, gasket and filter for 65$ i dont plan on doing it again :metal:

willywoo28 02-13-2012 11:15 PM

Thank you all very much for the quick replies. I appreciate teh experience and the advice. I feel well prepared for hopefully a quick turn around, and hopefully a fun weekend.

Hey any of you going to the winternationals here in Phoenix this weekend?

Take care!

Will

motornut 02-14-2012 11:15 AM

yup lifting it up makes it easier

irishman999 02-14-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywoo28 (Post 5186879)
Thank you all very much for the quick replies. I appreciate teh experience and the advice. I feel well prepared for hopefully a quick turn around, and hopefully a fun weekend.

Hey any of you going to the winternationals here in Phoenix this weekend?

Take care!

Will

damn dude, I wish I didn't read that! Last time I got to go was in 07.....:waah:

powerdriver 1958 02-14-2012 01:39 PM

Take the fan shroud lose first . A couple of short 2"x 2"s . Spend the extra money on the one piece silicone pan gasket , That's a gift from above . Just did this very thing a couple of months back in a c30 .

dugvera@gmail.com 02-14-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerdriver 1958 (Post 5187827)
Take the fan shroud lose first . A couple of short 2"x 2"s . Spend the extra money on the one piece silicone pan gasket , That's a gift from above . Just did this very thing a couple of months back in a c30 .

I second the one piece pan gasket.
Posted via Mobile Device

willywoo28 02-18-2012 11:54 PM

So the project is done.... something special though. I found out that the block is a 4bolt main.... the inside of the pan was practically spotless, and the pistons were upgraded at some point! This thing is cherry inside the block. I am just really excited that it is a 4bolt main.....

Thank you all for your suggestions. The job went seamlessly, and i appreciate all of gour experience and expertise.

Willy
Posted via Mobile Device