The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   frame swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=607807)

Onelefttoget 12-12-2013 10:35 PM

frame swap

I just gotta 69 suburban 4x4 all most only good for shell the running gear drive train is gone. I have a 2 wd 68 1/2 ton truck I want to swap the frames cause I don't really want a 4 wd or should I just install the front cross member and reared and remove the 4x4. Hangers till me your thoughts please has anybody gone threw the hassles

Onelefttoget 12-13-2013 01:06 AM

Re: frame swap

1 Attachment(s)
Here my donor 2wd truck

Onelefttoget 12-13-2013 01:28 AM

Having trouble. Loading pics arrrrrr

CG 12-14-2013 06:22 PM

Well if it was me and I was going to toss the truck stuff (or sell it) I would take all the truck stuff off the frame and detail the chassis up real nice. Do any rebuilding you want to do to it at that time ... upgrade to disks etc etc. Then I would transfer the burb body over to the frame.

Now I have no idea if you care or not, but the frame numbers wont match the vin on the burb. I dont think its really a problem here in Wa though if everything is already titled up. We dont have inspections and such here so no reason for it to ever come up.

Onelefttoget 12-15-2013 02:32 AM

That for the most part is my plan Thankyou CG glad somebody read my post thank for the reply its not going to be that hard its just time consuming. LoL

CG 12-15-2013 02:51 PM

You might do a search in the main burb/panel area for truck frames for burbs. I think there are a few threads on this. Seems like I remember something about the rear frame cross member (or something) is different.

Ive never done it but I read most of the burb area posts. Post lots of pics when you get it figured out.

tlcrz1972 12-15-2013 03:35 PM

Suburban frames are different in the rear half from pickups.

Be very sure what you can do with frame / body swaps concerning vin number identification being different. It may not be a big deal today while you own it but can be very difficult to sell (if you can sell it) with it not being a legal swap. And can get expensive possibly jail time and legal fees, if you have to correct it later on.

Check with a state DOT vehicle theft prevention officer regarding the legal means to do so.

You might be surprised at the consequences of doing something lilegal.

pwdcougar 12-15-2013 06:16 PM

I was looking to do the opposite and was told that the 4wd and 2wd frames are different. I'm in NJ and will have a really nice 2wd frame for sale in the spring.

Paul

CG 12-17-2013 11:01 PM

Go to the main panel burb board. Open the search, go to advanced search. Over to the left type in something like "truck frame" and tell it to search titles only. There are quite a few threads on this. And if you want more to come up just alter your search tactics a little.