The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   MAF sensors, tuning, etc? questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=629226)

'68 Newtricks 05-17-2014 10:33 PM

MAF sensors, tuning, etc? questions

I've had this question bouncing in my head for a while now. I would really like to get a local to drive/dyno tune my truck after the engine swap. But I need more research since I don't have anyone in mind. I would like to know where some of you are SENDing your harnesses and ECMs for programing. I will not be messing with the harness, I'd rather leave that up to the tuner.

So please, a list of folks that have been used. If you have a duplicate response, at least accompany it with a review. That would be awesome. If anyone knows tuners in the So.Cal area, that would be awesome too!!

For example:
BD Turnkey = they can supply me with a ZO6 cam and springs, rework the harness, and tune. Are they any good, I dunno.

Also, what is everyone's take on keeping the MAF? I see a lot of pictures with them removed and some without. I'm going to use Griffin radiator with both fittings on the passenger side. I'm also going to keep the mechanical fan. (I just don't like to hear them, nor trust electric fans. Even though all front wheel drive cars have them) So.... if the MAF gets in the way, it might be removed and tuned for that. Does anyone have anything negative to say about driving MAF-less?

Thank you. The truck will be a daily driver. Will run a cam, TBSS manifolds, and dual exhaust. That will be the extent of modifications it will see. I need mpg badly. I don't mean to sound like I'm giving homework either LOL, just keeping the question simple. :flag:

Blackpony 05-17-2014 10:43 PM

Re: MAF sensors, tuning, etc? questions

Definately keep the maf. It gives the computer the ability to compensate for changing conditions whick will result in better driveability and fuel economy.

Hart_Rod 05-18-2014 09:54 AM

Most people don't remove the MAF unless they are having space problems.

akdg87 05-18-2014 12:55 PM

i run without a MAF on my dd, and it runs great. But it will cost you more as you will need to upgrade to the Speed Density enhanced operating system for the PCM. If you are going through the trouble of swapping a cam there are much better options than using the z06 cam. You can get some hefty gains from aftermarket ls cams.

I prefer to buy a new standalone harness, not just a thinned out one. LS performance wiring has a done a few for me (they can be found on facebook)

'68 Newtricks 05-22-2014 02:09 AM

Is there another thread with all the popular tuner companies listed? Or anyone near Los Angeles for that mater?

I really only landed on the zo6 cam because it's everywhere and there are tuners who already have programs ready to run that cam. I'm also trying to keep this truck as DD friendly (reliability, fun, MPG) as possible. So I wouldn't mind doing a cam swap, but a very mild bump it performance. It has to equal or better my v6 S10 in MPG. Anything less will hurt very much. This truck will also be my ONLY vehicle, aside from my off road Blazer.

Wasted Income 05-22-2014 08:45 AM

Here's another vote for ditching the MAF....but only if you're tuning it yourself, which it appears you're not.

Speed density can run as good, or better (booooooost) than a MAF setup...but it takes time to get it dialed in...that most pro tuners don't want to invest for a $400-500 tune.

Super73 05-22-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony (Post 6678012)
Definately keep the maf. It gives the computer the ability to compensate for changing conditions whick will result in better driveability and fuel economy.

With The MAF disconnected the O2 sensors adjust fuel trim cells which keeps things at stoich. Plus being tuned well clean up any issues seen in the ve table. O2's will really be able to compensate from there.

Super73 05-22-2014 12:00 PM

Where in ca are you located?

'68 Newtricks 05-22-2014 01:21 PM

Los Angeles/ Pasadena

BR3W CITY 05-22-2014 01:42 PM

I've been running maf for a while no problem, but will be switching to SD once we start upping the power mods more.

I will say that I would NEVER email tune for SD. At least with MAF, you can get a bit of "help" on the tune if its ballparked. A bad-guess SD tune will run like dogsh!t

'68 Newtricks 05-23-2014 11:14 AM

Hmm good point about the MAF ballpark

truckdude239 05-23-2014 12:30 PM

i kept the maf on mine and did a mail order tune soon as i get everything done i will be gettign a dyno/streettune

Custom 68 05-23-2014 02:16 PM

one more thought is the MAF placement. Ideally it needs to be in a straight run of tubing. If you have bends it seems to "mess" with the readings.
I swapped to SD tune and moved my IAT into the piping when I went turbo. Might have been able to get away with the MAF but with the 2 bar SD I can tune into boost and works very well. I did keep my front O2 sensors and still have the computer make adjustments based off those during "normal" driving.

all that said if you have a good straight piping run and don't have FI then the MAF works great.

Super73 05-23-2014 04:44 PM

I believe first c10 ran in to problems with a stock motor / tune and maf. His intake tube was different than stock but maf connected fuel trims were all over the place. He had been driving around with the maf pin disconnected and fuel trims are much better. I will be looking more at it this weekend for him.

An uncalibrated maf can cause it just as many headaches as a bad ad tune.

First c10 05-23-2014 06:27 PM

If you can do the swap you can do the harness....the Tune well that is something all together different. Also the 6L80E adds even more to the mix. Glad Super73 is close.
I just unpined the MAF wire and the truck purded like a kitten!

'68 newtricks, great idea to find someone local to do the tuning now than after you have the truck down....
Good luck...... these guys are great as a resource
see ya saturday Super73!!!

bigbluthng 05-24-2014 01:16 PM

http://rpm-motors-inc.com/ located In canyon country. about 500ish for a dyno tune. real busy shop does a lot of vettes there. super cool to deal with.

'68 Newtricks 05-27-2014 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluthng (Post 6691438)
http://rpm-motors-inc.com/ located In canyon country. about 500ish for a dyno tune. real busy shop does a lot of vettes there. super cool to deal with.

Bookmarked for future business!! They are quite close, close enough so that I may just take a trip over there shortly and look around. Thanks

'68 Newtricks 06-07-2014 07:04 PM

Yep, I'm going with RPM for the tuning and keeping my MAF. For simplicity sake, and using the funds elsewhere, I'm swapping the oil pan and throwing the motor in. After I get some time on it and dial everything in, then I'll start massing with performance.

Thanks guys
Maybe I'll finally get around to making a build thread, though it won't be very exciting.