The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Spare tire delete - mock up pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=686263)

Aarons72 10-24-2015 12:54 AM

Spare tire delete - mock up pics

5 Attachment(s)
I've had this idea in my mind for quite a while now...I finally decided to go for it the last few weeks...This is the process, obviously not done, but in the end I think it's going to turn out pretty sweet. I will be storing some tools, oil, jumper cables etc... in the floor compartment and will cover that area with carpet once I get that far. My goal was to make it look stock, so I copied the driver side on everything and added the sub where they sit in most stock burbs or tahoes these days. Thought I'd share since I haven't really been able to find what many people have done with this area.

Aarons72 10-24-2015 12:58 AM

Re: Spare tire delete - mock up pics

4 Attachment(s)
Mocking up the final stuff to make sure it all fits. I cut the area out that held the tire and i found a short clearance Rockford 10" sub in a box on Walmart.com that fitted the area like a glove. I sound deadened the area and mounted it back there behind the panel. It sounds good and fit perfectly.

ranger danger 10-24-2015 09:59 AM

The only thing I might have done different is to use a recessed handle on the floor compartment. Looks real good!!!

BET68 10-24-2015 11:26 AM

lOT OF WORK, LOOKS GREAT. WISH IT WERE MINE!

Jbsweezy 10-24-2015 12:18 PM

Looks Good!

4shongo 10-26-2015 09:37 AM

Nice idea!!! Looks good!!

pwdcougar 10-26-2015 10:29 AM

I like it. Nice and smooth looking.

Paul

bowtieguy79 10-26-2015 10:54 AM

Nice work! that is a great alternative

Aarons72 10-26-2015 05:10 PM

Good idea on the recessed handle...I'm going to look into that!

If anyone else has pics of what they have done with that area, I'd love to see.

In The Ten Ring 10-31-2015 09:28 PM

So where do you carry your spare?

Aarons72 11-02-2015 02:06 AM

I've never had one :( I havent had a flat for like 15 years but Im sure it will happen now that I just said that...

Average Joe 11-03-2015 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aarons72 (Post 7361975)
I've never had one :( I havent had a flat for like 15 years but Im sure it will happen now that I just said that...

It usually happens at the worst time. I got a flat last summer while on a camping trip. I hooked up to the trailer, on the last day,and adjusted the load leveling bars only to discover the rr was almost flat. So unhook trailer get out 30 y/o spare and find its got only 15 pound in it. Aarrrghhh! Next step pump up spare tire with bicycle pump to 40 pounds, rehook trailer, and cross fingers hoping bias ply tire holds air till home. All the while going through nicotine withdrawal. I made it home but now I have a new radial spare and check the air psi monthly. I do like your sub install. Very clean!!

lowrollin70gmc 11-04-2015 11:10 AM

Looks good, I'll have to copy that some day, my spare doesn't fit in the well so I have to carry it on the drivers side.

In The Ten Ring 11-04-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 7363289)
It usually happens at the worst time. I got a flat last summer while on a camping trip. I hooked up to the trailer, on the last day,and adjusted the load leveling bars only to discover the rr was almost flat. So unhook trailer get out 30 y/o spare and find its got only 15 pound in it. Aarrrghhh! Next step pump up spare tire with bicycle pump to 40 pounds, rehook trailer, and cross fingers hoping bias ply tire holds air till home. All the while going through nicotine withdrawal. I made it home but now I have a new radial spare and check the air psi monthly. I do like your sub install. Very clean!!

I think most people never check the pressure in their spare. I check my spare pressure and pump up if needed, every time I rotate tires. I rotate every 6K miles.

In the course of my driving, I have had 3 flats and 2 blow outs. I changed each in 10 minutes or less and I was back on my way. *Blow outs were dry rotted tires on a car I bought out of a junkyard and was towing it home. Those blow outs were more like explosions! :jdp:

I have changed and helped change, let's see: 5 people's tires. Two women and 3 men. One was a police officer. No joke.