The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   1940 defroster vents (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=727144)

CSHADES 01-10-2017 07:26 PM

1940 defroster vents

I don't know if anyone is interested but I like to share info to save other people time. I run the original heater in my 1940 truck that is my avatar. the one problem I have had with doing that is the truck never had defrost vents or motor in it. I usually put the truck away by the end of October so having not having the defrost is usually not a big deal unless it raining. It is hard to keep the windows clear during a rain storm even in july. So this last weekend I decided to pull my dash out to test fit the cool replacement dash I am going to show you guys in another thread, trust me it is very cool and I haven't seen it in any other 39-46 truck. I have been collecting original heaters, defrost motors and vents out of the various parts trucks, swap meets and ones that people have just given me knowing I collect this kind of junk. I had found a couple of ok vents out of a 46 truck that I had cut up for parts and a really nice defrost blower out of my collection to put in the truck. I decided I should test fit them before blasting, painting and wiring. I found out that the 46 vents do not fit in the original holes for 1940. They are longer and narrower then the 39-40 vents, not sure about the 41 vents. I am working on my 1939 truck(project 39 thread) which did have the original vents in it. So I ended up opening up the slots with a die grinder and redrilling the mounting holes. The other problem I had was the defrost hose is 1 1/2 inch i.d. You can buy it from chevs of the 40s and I am sure other places but I really didn't want to pay the shipping costs. I actually found that gates makes the hose and you can get it from the local stores the Gates part# is 23824 it comes in a 6 foot section which is a bit long but you can cut it to whatever length you need. I paid $20.00 for the hose. I hope this helps any one working on getting defrost.

dennislbrooks 01-11-2017 08:28 PM

Re: 1940 defroster vents

I have a 1941 1.5 ton that has 1 3/4" hoses for the defrost vents. I will get the heater/defroster name.

dennislbrooks 01-20-2017 09:13 AM

It is an Arvin. Were heater/defrosters dealer installed?

CSHADES 01-20-2017 10:34 AM

I think a lot of them were dealer or aftermarket installed. Back then everything was pretty much an option. My 39 and 40 both had Chevrolet deluxe heaters in them when I got them. The 39 has defroster vents mounted in it but the 40 did not. The 40 cowl that I am using for a mock up cowl also did not have defrost vents in it but the holes were through the firewall for the heater. Every 1946 that I have torn apart usually have a heater and defrost vents in them. I think that was because after the war they were loading every option they could on to every vehicle to make more money. It was a sellers market in those first few years after the war.

dennislbrooks 01-21-2017 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arvin and Fyr Fighter that was in the Mowrystown Brick and Tile 1.5 ton dump truck

joedoh 01-21-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSHADES (Post 7832779)
Every 1946 that I have torn apart usually have a heater and defrost vents in them. I think that was because after the war they were loading every option they could on to every vehicle to make more money. It was a sellers market in those first few years after the war.

I have taken apart a lot of 41-53 trucks and I have seen about every type of aftermarket and chevrolet branded heater, you are right, it was a BOOM for them. even the ones that didnt have defrost oulets had pre-punched holes.

I have tried selling them and have sold exactly zero, I am not trying to start a museum but I have at least 5 different arvins including one that pulled fresh air from the outside of the firewall on a 41. the 41 I am working on now has a round harrison with the dresser drawer look openings, no defrost hoses but the dash has the vents.

CSHADES 02-06-2017 12:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I installed the vents, hose and defrost motor this weekend. It all went pretty well. Did some tidy up on the wiring under the dash in preparing for the new dash I am going to install. I will start a new thread for that soon.

dennislbrooks 02-07-2017 09:57 PM

What year and model did the Chevrolet Deluxe heater come from?

CSHADES 02-08-2017 10:24 AM

The heater was in the truck when I purchased it. I actually filled the holes in the firewall when I painted it. Then I decided I wanted heat for those chilly fall mornings so I drilled the plugs I welded in back out and made the aluminum enforcement plate instead of the wood one that was originally on there. The defrost motor was in a pile of parts I had purchased somewhere along the way. I have 2 out of the 3 bakelite handles for the heater doors I just have to get them off the rusty heater without breaking them.