The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Garage door insulation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761561)

35boulder 04-11-2018 04:32 PM

Garage door insulation

Thought I'd see what some of y'all have done about insulating your garage doors. I'm trying to keep my shop cooler/warmer and the metal door does nothing but transmit cold or heat. Please let me know what has or has not worked for you.
Thanks

mongocanfly 04-11-2018 04:39 PM

Re: Garage door insulation

when I bought my doors I was going to wait til later to do insulation...then they told me the panels are made around the insulation...it was either buy it with ,or do without...so I bought it with...

Advanced Design 04-11-2018 05:13 PM

Years back I had a small garage with uninsulated roll up doors. I cut styrofoam panels to fit the door panels on the inside, then secured them. Each panel on these doors had a wide perimeter frame which held the styrofoam in place. It worked ok to help with heating in the winter.

notsolo 04-11-2018 06:07 PM

4 x 8 sheets of blue Dow foam comes in 3/4...1" ...1.5"...2"...prescored at 16" and 24"...otherwise cut to fit...you can fill
The void with as much as.you need...better than beadboard.

Steeveedee 04-11-2018 08:21 PM

If you buy the styrofoam panels, get the ones with foil on them, and install them with the foil facing into the garage. This will further help insulate. Just know that in a garage, infiltration leaks are going to be your principal heat loss in winter. Infiltration wasn't my concern, so much as the fact that my garage door is on the south side, and the Blazing Hot 100 Watt bulb in the sky beats on it unmercifully.

Bigdav160 04-11-2018 08:22 PM

In Dallas, the only thing that will make it cooler is A/C

Popcorn W 04-11-2018 09:29 PM

Check with your insurance company first.
I had plans to go the foam route with foil backing facing in. But, I found out it's not "code"
If you're grinding or welding and a spark hits it and it goes up in flames you're on you own. There's a warning label on it that says it can't be exposed.
I'm sure it's not likely to catch fire, but I ain't taking that chance.
I have a friend who used it on his ceiling and never had a problem, but you never know.

LockDoc 04-11-2018 09:59 PM

-
I used 2 1/2 inch fiberglass insulation and screwed 1/4" Luan plywood panels on the inside of the door to hold it in. Working good so far. It does add a little weight to the door but I just tightened the spring up a smidge....

LockDoc

35boulder 04-12-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 8236117)
In Dallas, the only thing that will make it cooler is A/C

My shop is already climate controlled just trying to help things out a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions. I see that owens corning makes a "kit" for garage doors as do others. Just concerned about the extra weight.

KShortell 04-12-2018 10:00 AM

Pink foam cut to fit and foil tape for added insurance in the attached garage. It works!