The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pinion Angle Measurement (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816156)

‘Ol Flossie 12-27-2020 03:47 PM

Pinion Angle Measurement

2 Attachment(s)
Any chance I could get affirmation as to whether I’m properly attempting to measure the pinion angle? I’ve flipped the axle with a Western Chassis flip kit. The first image is from the rear with the driveshaft out. The second image is at the transmission tail shaft with the driveshaft out. I currently have the axle on jack stands, if it matters.

‘Ol Flossie 12-27-2020 04:09 PM

Re: Pinion Angle Measurement

Based on this measurement, my though was that I need to shim the rear end 4 degrees in the upward direction, installing the shims from the front of the axle with the wide end of the shim pointing towards the front of the truck.

mongocanfly 12-27-2020 04:23 PM

I'm only seeing 1 pic...of the diff... and it's at 0deg it looks like..
You need the weight of the truck on the suspension..sounds like you do...
The rear diff needs to number match the trans angle,,,, but opposite

SkinnyG 12-27-2020 04:52 PM

Try it. See if it works.

Matching the angles between the trans and the pinion did NOT work on my '77, it was nasty vibration, especially under acceleration.

I tried shimming the pinion every which way but Sunday, and also raised the transmission 1-1/8" up (it -almost- contacts the floor now), and currently have the pinion angle such that the "operating angles" of each u-joint are the same.

While it's nice to have the angles match, you also want the operating angles between 1-3°, and within 1/2° of each other, and you want the driveshaft to angle down to the pinion, not up to the pinion.

Beyond that, it's black magic and voodoo.

mongocanfly 12-27-2020 04:57 PM

Ok now I see both pics...some have had luck setup just like it is...on the theory that the diff nose will rise under acceleration...like skinny said..sometimes the numbers perfect setup just dont work..

kipps 12-27-2020 07:00 PM

There's also the theory that it matters how the truck will be used. If it's exclusively seeing the drag strip, you'd want to account for axle wrap when setting the angle. In other words, you'd want the angles correct under hard acceleration, but they'd be out of spec when cruising. The exact opposite would be true of most highway trucks.

For what it's worth, I plan to bolt my complete setup together, without welding the perches to the axle. I'll measure the downward angle of the engine/trans/t-case combo, and angle the pinion upwards to match that angle. Once I'm satisfied with the way it sits, I'll torque down the u-bolts, and weld the perches solid.

I should go measure a couple of OEM correct trucks first I reckon, and see how close they match the angles.

‘Ol Flossie 12-27-2020 11:30 PM

I should have the shims on Wednesday. I’ll post the results. Shims in front of the axle to get an upward angle, right?

mongocanfly 12-27-2020 11:44 PM

If you want the pinion nose up,then the thick part of the wedge will be in the front

bigblock73 12-28-2020 12:26 PM

I have done several flip kit installs, including Western Chassis. I have never worried about the pinion angle, never added any shims, never had any vibrations. The rear is simply going straight up, the axle angle should not be changing in relation to the engine/trans angle.

‘Ol Flossie 12-29-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8855287)
There's also the theory that it matters how the truck will be used. If it's exclusively seeing the drag strip, you'd want to account for axle wrap when setting the angle. In other words, you'd want the angles correct under hard acceleration, but they'd be out of spec when cruising. The exact opposite would be true of most highway trucks.

For what it's worth, I plan to bolt my complete setup together, without welding the perches to the axle. I'll measure the downward angle of the engine/trans/t-case combo, and angle the pinion upwards to match that angle. Once I'm satisfied with the way it sits, I'll torque down the u-bolts, and weld the perches solid.

I should go measure a couple of OEM correct trucks first I reckon, and see how close they match the angles.

Truck won’t be seeing the track. Street truck only. Please keep me updated on your flip and the OEM measurements.

‘Ol Flossie 12-29-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8855216)
Try it. See if it works.

Matching the angles between the trans and the pinion did NOT work on my '77, it was nasty vibration, especially under acceleration.

I tried shimming the pinion every which way but Sunday, and also raised the transmission 1-1/8" up (it -almost- contacts the floor now), and currently have the pinion angle such that the "operating angles" of each u-joint are the same.

While it's nice to have the angles match, you also want the operating angles between 1-3°, and within 1/2° of each other, and you want the driveshaft to angle down to the pinion, not up to the pinion.

Beyond that, it's black magic and voodoo.

After reading more of the Western Chassis documentation, you’re exactly right. With the axle flipped and essentially moving straight up, if an angle adjustment of the pinion is warranted, it should be in the downward direction. Thanks.

‘Ol Flossie 12-29-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8855418)
If you want the pinion nose up,then the thick part of the wedge will be in the front

Thanks for the input Mongo. There’s a great deal of knowledge on this site.

kipps 12-29-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ‘Ol Flossie (Post 8856059)
Truck won’t be seeing the track. Street truck only. Please keep me updated on your flip and the OEM measurements.

I'm actually not doing a flip. I'm using a newer axle, and need to move the perches to align with the squarebody spring spacing. It's the truck in my signature.