The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tell me more about your knob (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=838927)

402Bowtie 10-13-2022 02:00 PM

Tell me more about your knob

4 Attachment(s)
Over the years there have been many peculiarities pointed out on these trucks. Here's another one I'm wondering about:

For trucks equipped with the NL2 option (which I believe was only offered in '72 for that RPO), regarding the knob on the dash,

1) Was a NL2 deluxe knob offered?
2) If yes, then what trucks received a deluxe NL2 knob?

I thought that only Cheyennes and Supers would receive a deluxe knob. Others have told me that all trucks received this knob in the "standard" version.

I have recently found a few pictures that have confused me even more. Wondering if it could be another difference depending on the factory? What are your thoughts?

The first pic has a deluxe knob but standard foot pedals...???
The last pic is advertised as a mostly original Cheyenne and it has a standard knob.

72SB 10-13-2022 04:32 PM

Re: Tell me more about your knob

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW my 72 low option knobs. IDK if original but assume so

Chevyland 10-13-2022 04:51 PM

I thought

Deluxe knobs we’re on
custom deluxe
Cheyenne
And supers

Standard knobs were only on base model

As for foot pedals
Cheyenne and super got the deluxe pedal with the chrome trim
Because they were the only trucks with carpet

Custom deluxe or lower got standard pedal
Because they had rubber floor mats

Additionally there was only a deluxe knob for all cigarette lighters
Because the chrome center was a push button

Those are only my thoughts and observations
Not fact

402Bowtie 10-13-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72SB (Post 9133601)
FWIW my 72 low option knobs. IDK if original but assume so

Yes, lower trim models had the standard knobs. I'm wondering specifically about the NL2 knob on the higher trim models.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 9133604)
I thought

Deluxe knobs we’re on
custom deluxe
Cheyenne
And supers

As for foot pedals

Not fact

I did not realize that custom deluxe had the deluxe knobs. Thanks for that. The first pic I posted is a gmc... Maybe it was GMC's version of the custom deluxe, explaining the standard pedals and deluxe knobs.

The last pic still confuses me. I feel like I've seen a few other Cheyennes or Supers with the standard NL2 knob.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-13-2022 08:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You can't get the all plastic, black Standard Knob thru the aftermarket vendors.
All they sell is the Deluxe with the metal center.

The Orange truck, 3rd pic in Post #1, has MY '72 Door Panels.

My own '71 GMC Jimmy has the same DeLuxe knobs you'd find on a Chevy.

I have a '67 K/10 Sub. It has black Standard knobs, but they're slightly different from the '68's.

PIX:
TOP -- '67
MID -- '68
BOTTOM -- '71

57taskforce 10-13-2022 09:27 PM

My 72 K20 Cheyenne had the deluxe knob for the NL2 gauge switch (NL2 is on the spid) and I’m sure it was original as it was just as beat to hell as the rest of the knobs. I replaced it with a nicer condition deluxe knob I got from Pete. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a standard NL2 knob with out the bright insert until the picture posted above, I’ve probably just never paid much attention. This is a very interesting thread.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pics of the original knob, but can get one of the new one if needed. They are identical other than condition.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-13-2022 10:22 PM

So the NL2 RPO option was the Fuel Tank Select switch to the left of the Dash Panel?
None of my trucks had that option.

57taskforce 10-13-2022 10:37 PM

NL2 is the auxiliary tank option that included the auxiliary tank, sending unit, fuel selector valve, sending unit selector switch wiring, and auxiliary filler neck.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-13-2022 11:21 PM

Was the NL2 knob the same size as the other knobs? In the first pic, it looks smaller, but that could be an optical effect of a very wide angle lens.
In the 3rd pic, of the Orange '72 cab, it looks like an all black Standard knob was used, while the rest of the trim is DeLuxe or Custom/Cheyenne. Likely the service dept used what they had a lot of. Or didn't care. Or it's a trick of the [low] light.

Possibly the same part as the Wiper knob. Set screw from the side to secure on a D-sectioned shaft.

402Bowtie 01-11-2023 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I appreciate the responses. I think I got all my questions answered and I think chevyland's response nailed it.

I saw this truck online today. Appears to be mostly original custom deluxe truck with NL2 option.

special-K 01-12-2023 08:00 AM

Yes, Chevy Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne, and Cheyenne Supers with RPO NL2 got the matching deluxe knob and only Custom got the all black knob. The same is true for corresponding GMC trims

402Bowtie 03-01-2024 03:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I still think some trucks (strangely) received a standard knob for the NL2 switch even if the other knobs on the dash were deluxe.

I recently was going through some of the parts off my K20 Cheyenne and found its original NL2 knob, which is a non-deluxe (standard) knob.

I also saw the attached pics online today...Appears to be a fairly original interior (no SPID pics posted) for a Custom Deluxe equivalent GMC. Its NL2 knob is the only non-deluxe knob on the dashboard.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-01-2024 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 9133604)
I thought

Deluxe knobs we’re on
custom deluxe
Cheyenne
And supers

As for foot pedals

Not fact

Bingo. That's to my understanding anyway. Z62, Z84 and YE9 =deluxe knobs, speaking for 71-72 anyway.

Learn something new everyday, that's real interesting about rubber floor mats gets plain foot pedals. Since I got carpet now, does that mean I need chrome trim?.............NEVER!

Post 12 may have something to say about that theory, perhaps the brake pad trim was added later.

Purdy knobs

'68OrangeSunshine 03-01-2024 07:18 PM

Was the NL2 Knob its own special part, or was it the same part as the Wiper Knob, which attached with a set screw on the side?

1970cstblazer 03-02-2024 08:23 AM

I will have to pull the NL2 knob from my 1972 Cheyenne and see if it is the same dimension as the wiper knob. It might be the same as the manual throttle control knob 1991067/1991072, which was a deeper knob also retained with a set screw. The manual choke or Suburban rear air knob 1991077 does not have a set screw for attachment.

Manual throttle knob:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1465139011

It appears that the knob is or is similar to the throttle knob based upon this pic

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1396852221

Here is another photo of a true NL2 knob:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1518476238