The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   bed wood finish (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=846508)

pdxhall 08-05-2023 08:03 PM

bed wood finish

I'm getting ready to finish the new bed wood for my truck. I have planned on using an oil based spar urethane but what about the oil based polyurethane?
I welcome any opinions or advice. The wood is white oak. Thanks

Arne 08-05-2023 08:27 PM

Re: bed wood finish

I used water-based satin spar poly on mine.

cwcarpenter98 08-05-2023 11:55 PM

I went with a spar urethane. Pretty sure I did that because it's supposed to hold up better to the sun/outdoors and my truck sits outside 24/7

1restorick 08-06-2023 06:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I used a spar urethane from Total Boat company. Ended up applying 9 coats top and bottom to some black walnut boards. It was some significant labor to achieve a glass smooth finish.

1restorick 08-06-2023 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a current picture of my truck. I have made many upgrades over the years and love to drive it as well. Replacing the bed wood was a dream for many years. Finally did it.

Nevada51 08-07-2023 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1restorick (Post 9227448)
I used a spar urethane from Total Boat company. Ended up applying 9 coats top and bottom to some black walnut boards. It was some significant labor to achieve a glass smooth finish.

Wow, impressive finish! A job where you can see the reward pay off...vs trying to unbolt all the original nuts from the original bolts. That is a job in which very few can sympathize with regarding the amount of time required!

I'm on the verge of doing my boards and am going with an oil (Cutek Extreme CD50, assuming the sample pot finish looks ok when I do it in the coming weeks), so a different finish but I didn't want to worry about damaging the finish when I put stuff in the bed, and mine sits out in the elements 24/7.

1restorick 08-07-2023 06:57 AM

Your idea of using Cutex is a good one. The ability to use the bed and to be able to easily recoat the wood is worthwhile. I am afraid to even haul a cardboard box now that my wood is finished like a piece of furniture. Best of luck and please share the results!!

Rick

Angrywood 08-11-2023 10:53 PM

i did the same thing a couple years back. used boiled linseed oil on the wood first figuring it would get it more life. then stained it and used spar urethane. put a solid coat of carnuba wax on top and after one year i got the dreaded white haze. couldnt find anything on how to deal with that. i eventually lightly sanded it with a green colored scotch brite scour pad. got most of the haze off as i wasnt pressing to hard.

i think what ill do next is use the poppys pantina product on the wood. if that doesnt keep it fresh looking im going to spray it with black paint and be done.

truck sits outside all the time and dont want to replace the wood ever again. that was a pain in the ass...

good luck to you

Nevada51 08-14-2023 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrywood (Post 9229043)
dont want to replace the wood ever again. that was a pain in the ass...

good luck to you

Is that where your username comes from lol :)

I hear you. I'm doing mine from scratch, so no bedwood kit. This makes it challenging when you have to makeshift stuff to make the cuts, routs, drill holes, wheel well cut outs etc...and I'm a bit particular about stuff even if it never gets seen by anyone else. So far it is way more work than I had thought...and I haven't even laid one bit of bedwood yet!

Sorry, I've hijacked the original thread. I'll post some pics in a separate thread when I start tackling it in earnest.

Angrywood 08-14-2023 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevada51 (Post 9229607)
Is that where your username comes from lol :)

I hear you. I'm doing mine from scratch, so no bedwood kit. This makes it challenging when you have to makeshift stuff to make the cuts, routs, drill holes, wheel well cut outs etc...and I'm a bit particular about stuff even if it never gets seen by anyone else. So far it is way more work than I had thought...and I haven't even laid one bit of bedwood yet!

Sorry, I've hijacked the original thread. I'll post some pics in a separate thread when I start tackling it in earnest.

haha no i was angry way before i tackled this. It was alot of work but was fun. peace and quiet doing hands on work. took awhile to do but well worth the accomplishment