The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '87 floor shift steering column. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=850468)

Brownsquare 02-06-2024 12:32 PM

'87 floor shift steering column.

My '87 GMC is a three speed manual with a column shift. I'm converting it to a floor shift and would like to get rid of the manual shift 'nub' on the column. I've read that it's not as simple as swapping collars to a floor shift unit, so I've planned on hitting FB Marketplace to see if I can find a column from a factory floor shift truck. I can't imagine it'll be that difficult since I'm not after tilt or cruise, just a plain floor shift column.

Here's my question: My truck currently will start without the key, or you have to start it with the key but then you can remove it (can't remember which). If I swap to a floor shift column, does this year square have a lockout to keep you from starting the truck in gear? If I go to a floor shift will I have to rig something up?

Thank you!

shambles 02-08-2024 07:30 PM

Re: '87 floor shift steering column.

Hello,

Not sure if they are the same, but On my 1978 GMC 3 speed column shift the Neutral Safety Switch is activated with the clutch pedal. There is a little tab on the pedal arm that presses the switch.

raggedjim 02-08-2024 09:49 PM

I'm not real familiar with the 87 but I cut the nub off of my 68 with a hacksaw and filled the collar with JB weld. You can check out my build thread starting at post 107 and see how I did it. You would have to disassemble the column to do this.

KQQL IT 02-08-2024 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownsquare (Post 9283722)
My '87 GMC is a three speed manual with a column shift. I'm converting it to a floor shift and would like to get rid of the manual shift 'nub' on the column. I've read that it's not as simple as swapping collars to a floor shift unit, so I've planned on hitting FB Marketplace to see if I can find a column from a factory floor shift truck. I can't imagine it'll be that difficult since I'm not after tilt or cruise, just a plain floor shift column.

Here's my question: My truck currently will start without the key, or you have to start it with the key but then you can remove it (can't remember which). If I swap to a floor shift column, does this year square have a lockout to keep you from starting the truck in gear? If I go to a floor shift will I have to rig something up?

Thank you!

Floor shifts had a tab you pushed to release the key.
Had to push it remove key and then it would lock.

KQQL IT 02-08-2024 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownsquare (Post 9283722)

Thank you!

Floor shifts had a tab you pushed to release the key.
Had to push it remove key and then it would lock.
And the clutch pedal was the neutral safety.

Keith Seymore 02-09-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9284814)
I'm not real familiar with the 87 but I cut the nub off of my 68 with a hacksaw and filled the collar with JB weld. You can check out my build thread starting at post 107 and see how I did it. You would have to disassemble the column to do this.

On my '80 (back in 1980) I also cut the nub, but mounted the Sun tach over the hole.

I left the column assembled and in place, and just packed the opening with paper towel to keep any shavings out.

I pinned the column bowl in the up position to not effect key removal.

K