Thread: Welders!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #30
shifty
Questionable

Hey guys,

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy a welder. I guess it's the last thing that my shop is missing, honestly (except a plasma cutter, metal brake, drill press, DA sander, ... ).

Seriously though, I know nothing about welding. I don't know what people mean when they say "ARC" welder, I don't know what TIG and MIG means, when you would use gas mixtures, what gas mixtures have what benefits, what kinds of wire to use with different welders....

Man, I need some help learning all of the ins and outs of welding and the styles and uses.

I'd also like to find a welding tutorial online for welding different types of steel together - it would be nice to have a matrix (grid) showing what type of welding works best in diff't situations.

The types of welding I can see myself doing consists of: Welding fabricated brackets together, welding things to my frame, shaving body panels, doing other body work like frenching an antenna housing into my stock gas filler hole.

I see lots of welder recommendations above, but that doesn't help if I don't know if that welder is right for what I want to do. I don't even know how you'd add gas to a system or what that means I'm a super-n00b.

If anyone can give any advice or answer any questions I have above, please help. Thanks

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote