Thread: Welders!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #17
k-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Hey guys,

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy a welder. I guess it's the last thing that my shop is missing, honestly (except a plasma cutter, metal brake, drill press, DA sander, ... ).

Seriously though, I know nothing about welding. I don't know what people mean when they say "ARC" welder, I don't know what TIG and MIG means, when you would use gas mixtures, what gas mixtures have what benefits, what kinds of wire to use with different welders....

Man, I need some help learning all of the ins and outs of welding and the styles and uses.

I'd also like to find a welding tutorial online for welding different types of steel together - it would be nice to have a matrix (grid) showing what type of welding works best in diff't situations.

The types of welding I can see myself doing consists of: Welding fabricated brackets together, welding things to my frame, shaving body panels, doing other body work like frenching an antenna housing into my stock gas filler hole.

I see lots of welder recommendations above, but that doesn't help if I don't know if that welder is right for what I want to do. I don't even know how you'd add gas to a system or what that means I'm a super-n00b.

If anyone can give any advice or answer any questions I have above, please help. Thanks
tig=tungston inert gas,mig=metal inert gas,mma(aka arc,stick)manual metal arc,we generaly use an argon/carbon dioxide mixture for welding steel(mig),pure argon for aluminium(mig and tig)pure argon for stainless steel(tig)
mig welders are the best choice for an all round welder,some thing around the 150 amp-200 amp range should do all the work that you will be doing.
k-20 is offline   Reply With Quote