View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: car stereo guys i need your help!

1) What do you mean, wire a DVC sub? That sentence made zero sense to me. Hook the positive output of the amp to the positive terminal of the speaker and the negative output of the amp to the negative terminal of the speaker.

2) Every respectable car stereo comes with a "remote turn on lead". Most of the time this is a blue wire or a blue wire with white stripe - depends on your radio. It's important you read the manual on your stereo to make sure you are NOT using the power antenna lead - only use power antenna lead if you have no other choice. DO NOT WIRE DIRECTLY TO A CONSTANT POWER SOURCE - I guess the same power source as your stereo would work, but .... your amp will always stay on even if the stereo is off and that is bad!!

3) Your stereo should have two wires for power - one is a constant power lead that always has power. This allows the stereo to always keep the internal settings. This is often a yellow or orange wire, the manual will say for sure. Then you should have a red wire which is IGN (ignition) power. This will allow the radio to turn on only when the key is in the IGN power.

I DO NOT recommend you ever wire directly from the battery to your stereo with a wire.

The proper way to run your amplifier in a simple way is to go to Best Buy or Circuit City, get an amplifier wiring kit, it will come with a heavy braided 10-gauge or 12-gauge wire and an inline breaker or fuse, along with a good ground wire and all the terminal/connectors you need. Here's the breakdown: Run the power wire from the battery to the amplifier through the firewall of your truck - you must install the fuse somewhere, preferrably within 2 feet of the battery to prevent shortouts and burning your truck to the ground. You MUST put some kind of rubber grommit or some other protection somewhere around the wire where it passes through the firewall to make sure it doesn't short out. Run the dedicated power wire into the amplifier to supply it power - the "system remote wire" will tell the amp when to turn itself on and use that direct battery power.

If you are unfamiliar with any of the above stuff, I highly suggest paying someone $50 at an install shop or store to install it for you. Seriously - you can damage all of your equipment and burn your truck to the ground if you don't understand this stuff. I'll be happy to help you understand this stuff if I can.

Meanwhile, if you don't have a manual for your stereo, give me the model # and show me a picture of the wiring harness - I was a stereo installer at a professional shop for several years and have seen a lot of diff't setups and done thousands of installs.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote