View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #19
Kontrol Phreaks

Re: kp components weld in step notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
I was trying to contact you to basically see what gauge material you use for your 4-link kits (bolt-on & weld-on) & I was also curious about load bearing capabilities (I like to use my trucks as trucks)?
Scott

All of our kits are made from 3/16 and 1/4 material, and all our bars are made from DOM tubing. If you decide to go with a bolt-on system, then we provide you with all new grade 8 mounting hardware, busings, shocks, and u-bolts.
All of our weld on kits are made from the same material listed above, but they ofcourse don't come with mounting hardware, because the welder wount fit in the box, or the budget ...

When it comes to towing capabilities, the cantilever system will come into play. Since the bags are mounted on the cantilever bars, which are in turn suspended off the rear frame rail, there will be a good amount of stress put through the rear frame and notch area. Basically because all the rear weight will be carried and transfered through that particular area. You can carry a load in the truck bed, and tow a small trailer, however I wouldn't recommend a large car trailer. Simpy because you're going to be adding a fair amount of tongue weight to the back of the truck, which in turns adds to the amount of load transfered through the notch section.
If the rear frame area were to be boxed in, and had a weld-in notch and crossmembers, then it would be a different story. You'd defiantely want to beefy us the frame area if you decided to do some serious towing on a cantilever system.

Another area to look into would be a bolt-on 4 link with the bags over the axle setup. That way you can run with a trailer and get a good set of sleeve bags that are rated fore the weight and will give you plenty of bag stroke to get the ride and lift you're looking for.
Please email me directly if you are intereted in more information or help with the project.
clint@kpcomponents.com

Clint Petree
KP Components Inc.
www.kpcomponents.com
Kontrol Phreaks is offline   Reply With Quote