View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #12
PBFAB.COM

Re: Dropmember in a 69 C10

I sell the rod end spacers (misalignment spacers) for the heims. PM me for more info on the spacers and your suspension geometry questions. As for the dropmember being narrowed, it's not quite four inches. The geometry was designed utilizing stock spindles and arms and a mustangII rack. In order to get the bumpsteer where I wanted, the lower control arm pivot points needed to move inboard, which was fine by me. When these trucks are slammed they need to be narrowed up a bit for additional tire to fender/hood clearances.(Less than .1 degrees of bumpsteer per inch of travel is considered "acceptable" in the world of race car suspension design. Their end goal is to have as little bumpsteer as possible so I too accept their standard as .1 degree per inch of travel as acceptable) The dropmember has much less than .1 degree of bumpsteer per inch of bump (compression), and just under .1 degrees of bumpsteer per inch of droop (extension). For those who have no idea what I am talking about, bumpsteer is an issue common to steering and suspension changes. The location of all the suspension pivot points work together to create the suspension geometry. If not located properly, adverse steering and suspension movements take effect, making the vehicle steer and handle poorly, and often dangerously. Bumpsteer is a term used for the steering of the vehicle. It is apparent when steering linkage pivot points are not located in harmony with the control arm pivot points and as the vehicle's suspension goes through its travel, the steering wants to toe in or out. This condition can cause some strange and sometimes dangerous results.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote