View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #22
1976K5CHALET

Re: 1990 electric instrument cluster/speedo

Basically a 90-91 only speedo cluster....as i see now early 90's didn't get the goods. And for the ultra rare...rpo 8A8....in with tach flavor...still have yet to lay hands on one but i am still looking for one just like the 90-91 only power mirror harness i want so bad...genuine hend teeth.

The speedo recieved its signal from the drac...digital ratio adapter...and both ethe drac and the speedo can not be had thru gm....i tried...gm somewhere in the late 80's got squatted on by the gov about selling speedo's without having things properly recorded so they quit selling them...at least thats the story i was told by my local parts man this year. If you need one repaired or a drac...ISS (instrument sales and service can take care of things for you) i think the last drac i bought burned for our burb's gear ratio and tires size was 85 bux to the door. The drac had 4 outputs depending on how the truck was optioned....A) ecm B) speedo C) cruise servo D) abs ecm.

Pretty simple system to work around. If you have a speedo cable order a 2 pulse vss from Howell and run the signal in to a stand alone drac to convert the analog signal to digital the ecm can use...along with all the other goodies....and i see you found the post on how to make the drac programmable with a simple dip switch like that used in a standard over the road semi speedo head...

Sorry i have disappeared for so long but i have been stuck in canada since the end of july training in the field on some different em mwd tools the company uses up here. I did make it home one time for a few days for my daughters bday in sept and managed to buy a new truck on my way thru casper wyoming. Got almost 6k on the clock already....but i love the power of that new duramax....she's an 06 2500 HD 4x5 crew cab with the 6.5 box and a www.vanworks.com H4 package...i added dvd headrests for the kids...spray in liner...and a are locking hard cover on the bed for my oilfield gear.

Oh yes...i forgot....must have something to do with just driving 500 miles to regina sk in a snow storm....anyways the 4L80E was standard in 91 only Burbs and Crews....just had to buy either a C20 or a K20-30 to get it. I borrowed an ecm and complete bumper to bumper harness from a wrecked 91 C20 Burb in the local bone yard early this year....the owner of the yard swears the trans is a TH400 by his books so since i have been gone 5 moths or so...gonna swing in next month and see if its still a th400...if so its going home with me...

DW

Last edited by 1976K5CHALET; 11-28-2006 at 06:39 AM.
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote