View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #38
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: Who wears a wedding ring while working in the garage?

As an electronics technician in the Navy working on high power radars, we had keyring hooks just inside the shops for both Seasparrow and CIWS. They weren't for your keys, they were for your rings and other jewelry.

We also had an area about 3' X 3' on the floor just inside the door marked off with red tape. You were facing disciplinary action if you stepped over that red line without taking any and all jewelry off.

And the rules applied to everyone. As a lowly E-4 (equivilant to a corporal) I asked the captain (ranked the same as a Colonel) to please step back behind the red line. When the puzzled look crossed his face, I reminded him he was still wearing his wedding ring. Amazingly enough, he agreed with me and removed all his jewelry before proceeding into the space.

Sometimes you can actually come across a good officer. Not often, but occasionally.

I still to this day remove my wedding ring (I don't wear a watch or my dogtags anymore) when I'm doing anything involving electricity or moving parts.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote