Thread: Welders!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #89
DURRTY
USMC

Re: Welders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy283 View Post
NO those welders are not good. If you dont know the difference it might seem OK, but its not!!!. Even for body work on thin metal that welder does not put out enough current also they do not put out a consistant current. A friend of mine went out and bought one and after about 5 minutes I made him take it back.
Both Lincoln and Miller make nice small 110 welders. I have had a Lincoln 135 for many years running .035 flux core (inner shield) and that will weld safely up to about 3/16 MAX!! anything thicker and your really pushing it even with allot of skill its hard to get proper penetration. Ive run it with hard wire(.030) and gas(75-25 argon CO2) and I didn't like how it ran, not hot enough, BUT it does run it well enough to weld body panels but it needs to be maxed out on power. I also have a miller-matic 210 that can run any wire and gas I could need in my garage.

You can buy Anti-spatter spray from weld shops and even home depot sells it. It makes clean up from flux core wire much easier. Get a wire brush for your angle grinder that will get most off anyway.

I say this for safety and for piece of mind. You do not want to weld something together on a truck that can be worth more than 100 of those crappy welders.

also you can have the best, latetest and greatest welding machine in the world but if the operator is inexperienced it makes hardly a difference. practice and have someone experienced help out. and practice more. LOL