View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #21
chevyrestoguy

Re: What I've been working on....

The column parts finally arrived, so I got to work. The column I have was a freebie, and being a low-buck guy, I decided to run with it. It's a GM column, and I believe that it's from a 67-72 GM truck. It's non-tilt, no keys, and it has a very clean simple look to it. I measured it, and the diameter was 2". Great, I thought, and ebayed a 2.5" drop and a Billet Specialities floor mount, all for a 2" column. I get the parts, and attempted to mock-up them up only to find that GM had crimped the column tube in a few places for reasons that must have been for it's original application. Just my luck, the area that I initially measured was about the only area on the column that was truly 2". I completely disassembled the column and cut off the end of the tube where the turn signal fairing attaches. I got a 30" section of mild steel 2" .065 wall from the scrap bin of the local steel yard ($4 total) and welded the end to it. I even Scotch-Brited it with some WD-40 for a trick look and sandblasted the fairing. It'll all get painted eventually, but it looks cool for now. Now the 2" column parts fit perfectly, so it was time to mock it up and determine where the hole in the floor was to go. Once I got it where I liked it, I drilled the 2" hole. I still have to cut the steering shaft to it's final length and install the u-joints. I'll probably do that today. I also need to make a drill template for the lower column mount because it's held to the floor with 3 allen-heads that secure from the engine side. Gotta keep knocking these little projects out! Next project....Gas pedal
Attached Images

chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote