View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #64
special-K
Special Order

Re: Engine hoist scare

That hoist has a plate because of the two piece design of the boom.

These things are bolted together.No material should fail before the hardware.A bolt would shear before the boom bent if you had overloaded it.Since the lighter holes are unused,I can`t think of what you could have attempted to lift that weighed over 3000#.If it`s "rated" at 3,000# it should handle at least 10% over that for the manufacturer's liability.
I`ve used my cheap old Harbor Freight hoist for over 15 years.I`ve hoisted several diesel motors which outweigh a big block.I lift cabs and whatever.A hoist is just a simple construction,not much to it.It`s just a bunch of square tube welded and bolted together in triangulation,the strongest design known.The top strap didn`t even bend when the tube did?That was a defective piece of steel.
You could drive your truck front wheels,big block/trans and all,up onto a span of that stock and it won`t kink.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote