View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Re: speaker placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemacho View Post
i beg to differ on the 8"s my cousin had 3 8in subs jl audio and he had a alpine head unit with a ppi amp to it was a 500 watt he put a bass cd in it hit hard like 2 12" i looked around for the other speakers none around he showed me the box it was small with ports it realy made you lose your breath thats how hard it bumped. and the crisp sound came from polk audio 6.5 and 2" tweeters sounded great. his ride was a 95 chevy suburban.
I don't have time to respond to all the other posts, but that is exactly what I'm talking about. I know what a good sound system is and know what I've done with 8's in my truck. It sounded waaaaaay better than the 12's I tried. Generally speaking, 12's are fine for boomy bass and high volume, but as a certified audiologist, I'd rather keep my hearing for the rest of my life and hear definition in my music. As a musician, I'm a critical listener to the music I listen to and it's not just for getting from point A to point B....

Oh, I should also add to the fact that I'm not willing to put $3,000 into a system with 12's that sounds better than my $400 system with 8's. Know what I mean?

One last thing. The bass note at around 30hz is about 33 feet long. Yes, you read correctly. 33 feet- and I don't have that much room in my truck. So, that's why you hear low frequencies from much farther away than high frequencies. So while you think you're hearing that loud bass note with 12's, you're really only hearing the harmonics and not the entire frequency anyway. That's why 8's tend to give better definition.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 02-29-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote