View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #22
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

Re: speaker placement

it sounds like alot of you are very well informed. thats wonderful! i really do appreciate everybody's kind statements, but i did not intend for this to be a debate over speaker size vs sound quality. i simply meant to explain what the true nature of an 8" speaker is. if any of us has had great results with a certain sized speaker/box/amp configuration.... great! do share! but 3- 8" speakers or 2 or even 1 for that matter will be over worked as well as the amp while trying to produce a low frequency that it physically can not.compared to a bigger single speaker with the right box. tuned right, you can virtually save alot of room in your cab and have amazing results within a small package. i was in this business to install high end stereo systems that sound amazing. clarity and definition of frequencies were my ultimate goal. not creating a decibel contest-winning speaker box of a vehicle. i am also in the music industry and play lots of instruments, so i am very familiar with sound waves and how they travel. this has only helped me in my business. to simplify this, i admire all of you on this forum... and highly appreciate all input and advice on any subject! i am humbled by the shear depth of knowledge that each of you have to share with us. honestly! so back to the subject at hand.... you can shape any speaker, mids and lows both... to sound or create the frequencies that sound best to you. as you already know Brad, quality stereo monitors don't need a huge speaker to produce clean bass, but with the addition of a sub, big or little.. you can tune into those frequencies with ease. yes, an 8" "sub" can sound amazing if designed right and in the correct box for its application. alot of you may already know that to gain a bigger sound from a smaller box/speaker the box is filled with damping material such as polyfill. it not only helps to absorb standing waves, but also helps to create the illusion of amplifying lower frequencies. i am not at all suggesting that we all run out and install 12" subs in our trucks. to the contrary, our truck's air space is far too limited to utilize all that a monstrous speaker such as a 12" sub can put out. i am an advocate for clear, clean, well rounded and balanced music.all in all, use whatever speaker, components, wires you like. try to maximize your system by fine tuning your frequency ranges in each speaker's capacity, and enjoy!
good luck!
if any of you would like help or have ?'s pm me.

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club

Last edited by 72swb_327stroker_?; 02-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote