View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Another parts store funny.

I won a 25% discount on asome little BS parts a few years ago when i had my old GMC. (I think it was 2 brake drums) I walked into the local advance auto, told him I needed 2 drums for a 69 GMC c/1500. He asked what engine it had, i told him it has a 350 in it now, but it doesn't matter. He looked over his glasses and said in a semi-sh!tty voice "oh, it does matter"
I'm thinking OK... what ever, I'll play your stupid little game.
I said, "OK, it originally came with a 305.
He pokes his keyboard and said "they never came with 305s... just the 230, 250, and 292 inlines, 307, 350, and 396."
I informed him that the 230 never came in any 67 - 72, and that the GMC trucks also had a 305 and a 351 option.
He started getting a little upset at me being an idiot...
"the 305 wasn't born yet in 69, and the 351 was a for engine that wasn't out yet either."
I let him now he was wrong on both ctatements...69 was the first year for the 351 windsor.. and I think Cleveland too, but that's not important... I'm talking GMC truck V-6 engines.
He actually called me a dumb ass then.
I told him I demand a 25% discount, when oi prove you and your stupid computer wrong in less than 2 min.
He agreed as I stepped out, grabbed my owner's manual and my registration. Pointed out my CM digits ont he VIN, then flipped the owner's manual open to the VIN page, and then told him again... I need a set of brake drums for my 69 c/1500, you can look it up as an inline, or a v8... it won't matter.
He looked, saw the same p/n for both listings, then was shocked to see he had 2 on hand....
and gave me the 25% discount.
Quote:
Today a parts "associate" could be leaning on the part you need and if the computer says they dont have it, so does the parrot
Well said... very well said.
This is why i try to always deal with one of 2 guys at my local-ish NAPA. Just today i went in to buy a turn signal switch for the van tilt going in the burb, and it was $60. Jeff looked at me and asked if the signal was acting stupid, or if the piece the lever mounts on was broken. When i told him it was just the plastic piece, he tells me I can get you that part for 13 bucks.
SWEEEET!!!!
He even remembers to type in 78 eldorado when ever I say I need engien parts for my truck.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 03-14-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote