Thread: 11 second ?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
chevy72blu

Re: 11 second ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulltilbroke View Post
Well it doesn't sound like 11s are in my budget
Where do you guys think i'd be with a healthy 377 or 406 and i'd spray a little. I'm trying to use junk I already have.I figured 11s was a little optimistic

I got some good 461 castings and old holley strip dominator manifold
Could I break into the low 13s
Are you going to drive the truck on the street? Or only the strip? Bracket racing?

377's are REALLY fun motors. You can easily build them with a very wide and high revving RPM range- I've always wanted to put one in an old 280/260 Z and build an auto cross car out of it. Not really the best drag racing motor IMO, but there was a guy on the forum a while back who ran a pretty high compression alcohol 377 in a drag truck/car. I cant remember his name...

I would go the 406 route if I were you. First, take it to a machine shop and have it fluxed/sonic checked for cracks, as they are prone to over heating (research 400 blocks and you'll find out why) and cracking. While youre there, ask them what they will charge to clearance the block to make it a 434. Might as well check.

Its been a while since I spoke small block language. Im sure someone will come along and give you some spec info as far as heads/cam are concerned. GM Vortec's (already worked) from scroggin dickey will probably be the best bang for your buck, along with a moderate-high lift/duration cam. Definitely go with forged pistons and a nitrous-happy cam (around 108 LSA, and not too much overlap).

You TH350 can be beefed up to have a relatively decent life behind the 406.

13's are certainly easier to attain and perfectly realistic with that motor.

You should still go through your rear end. Remember, the weakest link in the chain is the first one to break.

Edit: typos... I just got out of a physics 2 class... my brain still isnt awake.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 04-05-2008 at 08:35 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote