View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: DIY Ceramic Header Coating

Well I talked with Eastwood's customer service guy today, they agreed to ship for free if I bought another 4 Oz can. So I'm waiting for that. It' s cheaper than sending it back and starting over with POR-15 stuff from Paddock.
I didn't know my Heddmans were lifetime guaranteed until I moved some junk around my workshed. They went on in '99. As far as rust, here in Tucson, I'm still running some 1978 vintage Clifford Research headers on my 292 L6 in the '68 stepside. After running them for 25 years, I had them hot-tanked, and bead blasted and then spray painted w/ VHT NuCast gray 1400* -- after 3 years on the road, they still look good. Headers don't rust here. I'm still inclined to wrap the SBC tubes, just to see what happens. Will it be much cooler under the hood? Will it make my 350 go more faster? Who knows?
But I haven't opened the 100' roll of faux-asbestos wrap. Just in case.
As far as JetHot and other places -- I loved their video and was about to shell out their $300 when I was rebuilding the 292. But when they said they didn't like to coat used headers because they couldn't guarantee them, I decided $15 or $20 with a spray can could do just as well.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-10-2008 at 02:28 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote