View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #51
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Re: Sears...... (Rant)S

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Items you purchase, that are used to make your living, are a dedution off of your taxes. where most go wrong, are the ones that claim everything up to and including the family dog. Be certain that you use the right forms and maybe even talk to a tax person, when the time comes.

You and many like you are the reason that Mac, Snap-On, and Matco make so much money. They come to your shop's door and you need the tools to make aliving, so they sell them to you on TIME and show each week looking for that tool payment. Their quality is good, but if you do not improve in your income, they can eat you alive. So if you are just getting into the wrenching world, then you need to be aggressive in your job.

I no longer wrench for a living, and it has been many years since i did, I do NOT miss the daily work. I now am involved in a managerial position in a Nuclear Power plant. I get paid really good money to talk funny.
I've been a oil shop technician for close to 11 years, since i was 15. It's all i've ever done. Every shop i've worked at provided the tools needed, so, i never had to buy anything for my garage other than the absolute basic hand tools. I inherited a small part of my fathers tools when he passed away, but it was mostly body tools and a couple air ratchets. The guys at work keep telling me to stay away from the tool truck vultures unless i need a special tool not sold in stores. I make about 450 a week to start off, i have no idea what sort of raises are in store. It's a very small self owned shop that's been in town for over 30 years with the father as the owner and the son as the manager and lead technician. There's one other technician other than myself. I'm mechanically capable, but most of the jobs done are a first time for me, so i'm constantly learning new things all day every day. These guys all have over 120 years of experience between the 3 of them, so obviously, i'm a tad pole in a bike pond, with hardly any tools, or money.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote