View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #40
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Alot of the new panels are just bonded(BMW), but I was planning on using countersunk rivets to hold the two pcs. together...How thick is the fibreglas, I have to make a crimping tool that thickness?
I'm pretty sure the panels you are talking about are all ABS, PU, or HDPE plastics.
They are usually thermoset(melted) through holes in the metal frame.
BMW, Mercedes, of course Saturn all have some plastic body panels.
Bodymen have a special tool that melts the plastic stub into a liquid rivet on the backside of the mounting areas. It's pretty cool.

As for placing them in your fender, find some one that has a jenny or swage roller. It'll make the l shaped flange for you. You could also use a bead roller and then flatten the inside half of the bead.

I used to be able to get a line of specialty hot glues that bonded or temp bonded different or similar materials together depending on application.
I'll see if I can get something for steel to fiberglass. If so, I could supply a few sticks with every skin.

For the thickness around 1/4", but depends on the resin. PE or VE resin would be more like 5/16", and epoxy would be closer to 3/16".
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote