Thread: 65 C60
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #74
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

Re: 65 C60

Wow Bud, that is one clean old truck. I am especially fond of the old big trucks. Other than the International mirrors, it couldn't get anymore original. It's great to see these old trucks that have been used for their original purpose but still very well cared for. My 65 C80 fire truck only had 13,000 original miles, but it still doesn't look as good as yours. The cab is still very strait and solid, but it has lots of holes drilled in it for all of the fire truck lights and sirens, and the paint is getting very thin. The interior of mine is still nice except for the floor mat, and of course all the holes for the light switches.

The reason they said you would have to change the wheels is because those are the two piece wheels, not to be confused with lock-ring type wheels like mine has, which are still used alot today, and are fairly safe as long as the wheel and locking ring are not badly rusted or bent. The wheels on your truck actually come apart right down the middle of the wheel in two almost equal halves. They are extremely dangerous, even just to air up a low tire so be very careful. These are the wheels that coined the name "killer wheels" or "widow makers". They have injured or killed many people, which is why most states have outlawed them all together.

But again, you have a very nice old truck there. Congradulations and best of luck with it.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote