View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
original_balzer

Re: Project "Cheap, Naked and Dirty" my 61 build

So where do you start building an old truck? At the front of course. I figured Id start on making sure it stops. I found CPP here on this forum and gave their site a visit.
$689.00 later and this showed up on my door step.

Sorry my camera is retarded sometimes.
2.5" drop spindles and 6 lug disk brakes. This kit is awesome came with spindles, hubs, rotors, backing plates, bearings, spindle nuts, calipers, brake lines, brake pads, and small hardware. Basicaly everything you need! The only things It didn't have was 6 bolts to bolt the backing plates on, and grease to pack the brearings.

These first trucks are torsion bar front suspended, that just wouldn't do for me. So after a little research I made a plan to bag it. I started by removing all the torsion bar components. Then welded some thick (1/4) plate to the bottom of the a-arms. I will drill the required holes for the bottom of the air bag into this plate. I will then use 1/4 long pieces of small pipe to protect the bolts on the bottom, large enough to fit a socket into of course. I also removed the tiny crossmember that the ball joint bolted to. I will use a threaded bung welded to the plate so that I can bolt through the ball joint and into the bottm plate. This will be a much stronger support for the ball joint anyway. This is as far as I have got here are some pics and a mock up of the spindles and hubs just to get a feel for it.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...e/ag22-001.jpg

Thanks for lookin Ill update as time and money allows/
-77 k20 long fleet (gettin all the goodies from frankentruck)
-79 c30/k30 3+3 frankentruck (cab and frame for sale)
-99 GMC yukon daily driver

Last edited by original_balzer; 08-22-2008 at 10:23 PM.
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote