View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #64
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

hey guys, Got caught up with family a little bit this weekend and earlier this week, not that that's a bad thing! But I did finish the mold for the Drivers inner fender support, all it's supports are glassed in and it will stay on the fender for a few more days until I pull it so it can cure properly. I got the pass inner support a good bit of the way done, right now it sits with just gelcoat, surface veil and 1 layer of glass on it. With that layer of glass over I can finish it in the next day or two, soon as I get a chance to work on it.

Here's some pics to satisfy those urges. lol

Driver's fender support all smoothed and flanges on.

The clay is to fill in any gaps and give a smooth surface for the mold.

After a bunch of paste wax and PVA I applied the tooling gelcoat

here you can see the flange a little better

Here's 2 layers of surface veil and one layer of .75 Oz mat

Here's with another layer of .75 Oz mat and 2 layers of 1.5 Oz mat

In this pic and the pics below, they are mid process, The areas that are shaggy looking have yet to be trimmed. The areas that are smooth around the flanges have been trimmed. I cut them before the resin sets up fully, in the 'green' stage, it's so much easier than cutting with a saw(and alot less itchy)

Here's the almost finished mold
2 more layers of 1.5 Oz in the flatter areas or 4-5 layers of .75 Oz in the tight curves. Then a layer of 24 Oz Combo cloth and a little .75 Oz mat around the edges of the combo cloth to keep it smooth and easier to handle. Wood supports cut and laid on the still wet mold to hold them in place for glassing.

There's actually one layer of .75 Oz mat on this little piece, but it is not enough yet.

Since these pictures were taken, I glassed in those wooden supports and trimmed them up, and also added a piece of metal pipe as well.
Drivers side got set to cure, and I got the passenger side well under way.
As soon as I get the metal pieces I need, I can start on the outside of the fender.
I know those are the pics you guys really want. lol, I also wanna see that bigger arch.

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote