View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #76
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

I'm figuring about 4-6 weeks right now actually. Life kinda gets in the way sometimes and things get slowed down. I thought I'd have them mostly done already! DOH! I'm going to colorado for a week later this week, so when I get back I should be able to get the fenders mocked up, molds made, cured and polished in 3 weeks or so. That included the molds sitting on the fender for 7 days to cure. If it's hot and not humid, then it'll be more like 4 or 5 days. if it's overcast, rainy and humid I'll prolly wait 7 or 8 days. I can then pull parts, but it's really a few weeks after that, once a few fenders have been pulled until the molds are fully cured and considered 'seasoned'.

But once the molds are made, it will only take me 2-4 days to make a pair of fenders, depending on what you want. Actually a pair of skins can be made in one day, provided they were gelcoated the night before. Full fenders with no 'hood support' will take about a day each, and full fenders with the full inner support will be 2 days each, a day to make the fender and inner support, and another day to bond them together properly. I'll probably end up referring to them as skins, full skins and full fenders or something like that.

As far as having sales in any type of order, I really don't have any lists as of yet. I would like to pull a few skins out of the molds first to help season the mold before I pull a 'full skin', but that is kinda of irrelevant. Once I have the molds finished, I'll start another thread for sales. Once I do that I'll give everyone a heads up and you can post in the sales thread for an order.
Shipping these bad boys is going to be interesting. So far I've found that bicycle boxes are the best way to package them, and I'm thinking the best/cheapest shipping method would be by truck freight, but I can ship them UPS or DHL if needed.

I hope once I get some fenders made, that I will get some pics of them installed from customers pretty quick. That's why I said a few months for pics. By new years I'm hoping to have a few fenders sold, pics of them mounted, and alot of molds for other things under way .

I should specify, I'm making the 2" wider opening fender first, as that seems to be the most popular in the poll, and also would be a good size for dropped trucks that need a little more clearance for big wheels. Then I'll do a 4" or 5" larger opening, and flared versions of both will follow if there is still demand for them.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote