View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #98
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

well, after the glass fender edges were cured a bit, I could cover them in filler and start to shape the new fender line and fender 'cup'.
I didn't take any pics of the filler, rough rasping in green stage more filler etc steps.

but after a few rounds of filler, it started to look like something, so I hit it with some primer.

Some quick roughing out revealed some low spots. Quick bit of filler and rough them out again and I started to see a nice shape appearing.

then another guide coat of primer
[/QUOTE]

Then on to the tedious and long process of block sanding and building until all the surfaces are as crisp as I want them to be.

Sand
fill
sand
fill
sand
Primer
fill
sand
fill
sand
fill
sand
^yeah, that's been me.... sanding until the back/shoulders/elbows/hands are numb!

There's a ton of work inbetween the shot below and the last two shots even if it's hard to tell. I left out alot of pictures...

Oh yeah, I cut the table so I could have better access for sanding...

high build sand-able primer

and then, after a shot of white primer, it actually looks like a decent fender again!

Also check out old stock lip still screwed to the table that I used as a guide for the profile. you can see how much bigger the new fender opening is, but still retains the old style pretty good imho.

I've got a handful of spots that need to be tweaked with a tiny bit of filler/primer, I worked on it a bunch this morning, and now my handful of spots that need attention are down to just a few minor spots and already looks better than in the last pic.

So anyways, while updates haven't been posted here, I'm working on it here and there when I get a chance to. It's really a hobby or a labor of love that I would love to see turn into a 9-5, but for the time being whenever I have the time and funds I'll be working on it.
I did cut the lip off the pass side fender, but my table is too small to mount both of them on at the same time, so I can't get going on that until my driver's side mold is 2/3 -3/4 complete.

anyways, just thought I'd post some pics of the slowish progress but progress nonetheless.

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72

Last edited by Mordachai; 01-11-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote