View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Eagletucky
Where did THAT bolt go?

Eagletucky's 61, 65 & 66 build thread

Hey Guys,

I started a project about a month ago. I've been lurking alot here during the day, and tearing down trucks at night when time allows. With a wife and 2 children, sometimes its hard to get to the garage, but I make time when I can.

Anyhow, here's what I started with:

Its a 1965 GMC. I bought it on Craigs List. Came with a 1966 GMC parts truck (never got pics of it) Thought I would just get it running and drive as is. Found that the 305 V6 might be more that I wanted to deal with, I opted to go in a different direction.

I bought this 2 two weeks later. Its a short bed frame (which is what I wanted in the first place) and has a 235 installed. The motor is locked up, But I just happen to have 235/powerglide out of a 62 Impala lying around, so I will pull the 235/4sp saginaw and install the new powertrain. This is going to start as a non cosmetic build, as I just want to get the truck together, get all of the bugs worked out, then make pretty over time. I dig the old, worn paint on these trucks and will wear this while I make my upgrades. I plan to install a 70's to 80's crossmember, with drop spindles, and springs, then install Jeep TJ coils in the back. I have a bagged car (1960 Buick LeSabre), and just want to static drop this one, I dont need it real low, just a little better stance.

This past weekend I sectioned the bed on the 65'GMC so it will fit on the chevy, here are the tacked together results:

We used a crappy $200.00 welder, so we only tacked it together. I have a friend who is a great welder coming over this week with his rig to finish things up. Hopefully, we can then transfer the bed to the 61 Chevy, and i can have the Junk yard take a way whats left of the GMC. I scavenged every usable part out of that truck, just to be safe.

The planned driving date for this beast is May 15, 2009.

Well, thats all for now, Ill post up pics when work is done.

Thanks to all of the guys on the site, I've learned alot in the month I've been a member, with lots of learnin' left to do!!!
Eagletucky is offline   Reply With Quote