View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #125
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

and then I got a chance to drill holes and bolt the sections, and did a final trimming of the flanges

^WOOT!^

So that's where that one sits as of now. It's post curing on the fender to minimize shrinkage and warping. I should be able to pull the molds off in another 7-10 days!!!!!

Working on the pass, got the light cut out, flipped 1" higher, and welded back in, starting on creating the lip. shouldn't be much longer and it'll be coming together(although I'm not looking forward to all the hand block sanding ahead of me- but that's ok)
Man, my passenger fender was so banged up it's not right. Air hammer and a ball peen were banged and banged until I got the front of the fender to have some normal shape back. (why do people pile on the filler- when they could just hammer out the dents a little and use 1/2 or less filler? always amazes me) I had a hell of a time trying to hammer the sheetmetal around the light flat enough to get it back in place nicely. Actually there is a slight compound curve- it's not dead flat- so it took alot of hammer/dolly work to get it where they would even remotely fit. If I were to actually try to use it, I would have trashed it for another, but for making the model/plug it'll be fine.
My metalwork is much less ideal than I'd like, but a little filler in the low spots and it should be fine. Almost hard to see in the pic, I guess because the grinding kind of made the surface look more uniform, but the whole front of the fender had about and inch plus of filler!!!! yikes!

only pic I got right now...
lip cut off, rusty nasty missing cup cut off, light flipped(raised 1") and welded, alot of hammer and dolly work...

Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote