View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #60
JEM
Ironmonger

Re: Modding My Cluster

Hmmm...just gone done doing something similar for my '91 Sub. In my case I kitbashed pieces of about three different late clusters - a '90 electronic-speedo cluster from the local pick-n-pull, a tach (no fuel gauge) from some late '80s 6cyl truck that I had a local speedo shop recalibrate for the V8, and the standalone fuel gauge for the lower left hole from something-I-don't-remember-what.

I didn't have a usable cluster shell with a gauge pocket at the bottom left, so it took some quality Dremel-and-pliers time to clean out the idiot-light partitions down there, and I had to fabricate a mounting boss for the left end of the gauge from some scrap ABS plastic. And of course I had to cut the hole in the back of the cluster for the tach wiring.

You can solder to the traces on the printed circuits if you're careful about it. In my case I soldered some 22AWG wires to the fuel-gauge traces (+/-/sender) near the stock pie-plate fuel-gauge location, three matching wires on the back of the gauge, with the gauge in place the wires go out an unused idiot-light hole and mate to the wires from the printed circuit with a 3-pin mini Molex plug.

The truck's still apart for some other work (alarm updates and I've got a set of power mirrors on the shelf...) - I'll try to get some pics.

Last edited by JEM; 07-09-2009 at 02:31 AM.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote