View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
mdunn

Re: opinions on this 383 build?

OK..so I have been waiting to chime in on this thread. The reason the add was deleted was becuase I bought this motor the day before this post started. Yes, I knew it was a gamble, but I got the price down to $3000. And yes, I know what the parts are, but I think most of you would agree by the time you bought a block, a stroker kit and had the machine wrok done, you would have close to this in the bottm end.

I just got the motor broke in last week and am in the tuning stages now. Yes it has been a lot of headaches getting it into my '72 K5 4x4. All the parts are exactly as described. I pulled the valve covers to check everything and could see the pison part numbers through the spark plug holes. Crank was marked on the flywheel side. The block numbers came back as a 80-84 4-Bolt main passenger car. Dipstick is on the passenger side which caused me some trouble. I also had him change the manifold out to a dual plane insterad of the single plane to focus on the low end torque.

When I first fired it, I had water leaking from several of thehead studs. Although sealed, it appeared these studs suffered from the same problems that you read about for the ARP studs. I put a can of Bar's Stop Leak in like everone mentions to do, and all of the leaks have ceased.

The flat tappet cam, as you can tell from the specs is pretty big. I am only running 14" vacuum at 1000rpm. Initially the motor wanted to stall in gear, but I got most of that worked out now. It has a grat lope to the idle and sounds really good. The motor when it first fired at 70psi of oil pressure. After break in it holds 40psi at idle and about 50psi going down the road at 2500rpm.

The enigne also came with a Edelbrock 1407 carb as listed. I am still trying to figure out the correct settings and jetting for this. I installed off-road needle and seats and reset the float height before firing it. Still seems a little flat around 3500rpm. My guess is this may be the Procomp head specs or the cam also.

I'll keep you posted. The motor came with a 2year/Unlimited warranty, but I am hoping I do not need to use it. But finally for the money, I am considering waiting the 2 years, and then upgrading the heads to something better. Other than that, the bottom end is small block chevy...can't have too much go wrong right?

I am open to all feedback and tuning suggestions. Like I said, I was on a budget and I know I got what I paid for, but I am hoping I can make the best out of it!