View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: I ran into a problem with my 62' c10 coil spring/disc brake swap.

I'm sorry to say I don't remember which bottom bolt lined up. It was too many years ago and about 18 degrees in the garage at the time so I didn't take enough pictures. I installed the new suspension as a complete assembly, and double checked the location by having marked the centerline of the axle on the floor and fender before I pulled the original out.

Looking back at the pictures, I believe it was the upper rear hole on the side that lined up, although it did require slotting upward since the earlier frame is 1" less tall than the later frame.

If you're not upgrading to power steering, you're probably better off just keeping all the 62 steering linkage from pitman arm, rod ends, center link and idler arm. A quick check of Napa Auto Parts shows the pitman arm is a different part number for 62 -72. I'm assuming the newer arm "probably" won't fit on the 62 box. The later tie rod end/drag link threads are larger, and if you mix/match you'll need the conversion parts from someone like CPP, which adds to the cost.

If/when you upgrade to power steering, it seems smart to change all the linkage to the later version, mainly due to cost, but also because the later tie rod ends and idler arm are bigger/stronger and far less expensive.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote