View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: gas tank options?

Have you checked to make sure the tank is vented properly? An improperly vented tank will be a PITA to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern lights View Post
There's no decent place for a filler cap. At least in MY case, the tank is tucked right up under the floor of the box. The only way to get it to take fuel (that I can think of) is a cap in the floor that dumps striaght into the tank. That puts it somewhere between the frame rails in the middle third of the box (side to side). That looks rediculous (IMO) and, if you have a run over, it's all over the inside of the box. I would never want a fuel door in the side of the box of in the inner fender, and, even if I did, because the tank is basically right against the floor (or close to it) that, unless the filler was near the top of the box side (which would require a hose going THROUGH the box, the fuel has to go basically horizontal to the tank. Not the most efficient way to move fluid. If you try to put it behind the liscence plate or between the bumper and tailgate, again, the filler is at or below the top of the tank and it won't fill worth a damn. Mine is behind the tail-light (fleetside) and, while it's OK in that you can't see it, again, it's not much higher than the top of the tank and the hose has to go horizontal for a foot of so the get to the tank. It takes about 15 min to fill (about 16 gal) and that's with a jerry can. Straight from a pump puts a few gallons on the ground as it's VERY difficult to get the pump to pump slow enough and the fuel backs up all over the place. I suppose if a guy doesn't mind haveing a fuel cap in box floor, but then, I don't want to be dragging a hose over the end gate everytime I fill. There's a good reason GM didn't put it there. It wasn't because they never thought of it, the subs and later, the blazers did so they already had the tanks yet they still used the seat tanks in the pick-ups. It just doesn't work well in a pick-up (an understatement) IM(not so)HO. I don't even like to drive my truck because it means that I have to fuel it back up with that mickey mouse setup.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote