View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Intro and the longest build thread you'll ever see.

I agree. I've been told to not use etching primer under epoxy also. I have also been told that the NCP line of PPG primers is a little better on bare sanded steel than DP. I have used DP and left uncoated for extended periods with good results, but it was the old DP that had lead in it. I prefer to have my metal abrasive blasted whenever possible. It is best to get rid of the old finish totally and it provides for a superior grip for the epoxy......IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Everything I've ever read says never use etch primer under epoxy, they aren't compatible. Most professional web forums recommend epoxy primer on bare metal. It's main benefit is the ability to grip the metal, and what goes on top. It's recommended the epoxy go on first, even under body filler. I left my tailgate in PPG DP90 for 5 years and although it faded over time, it never allowed any rust to start.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote